• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Remembering David Munrow

…by Tom Service in The Guardian,
    Tom Service: The great populariser of early music was a man of scarcely believable energy and productivity
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for posting that doversoul. I can't believe it was as long ago as 1976 when we heard the tragic news about David Munrow.

Early music has never been my greatest interest but David could make any subject interesting and we were all shocked at what happened at the time.

Aren't there any programmes or single pieces of music that the BBC could play in memory of a pioneer?

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Thanks for posting that doversoul. I can't believe it was as long ago as 1976 when we heard the tragic news about David Munrow.

Aren't there any programmes or single pieces of music that the BBC could play in memory of a pioneer?
      I could suggest David's playing with John Turner of Brandenburg Nº 4 with Arthur Davison's Virtuosi of England on Classics for Pleasure.
      (Can't remember the CD number)
      Also worth hearing for some fantastic Solo Violin playing by Hugh Bean

HS

Comment

• Roehre

Both 3LP sets The Art of Courtly Love and The Art of the Netherlands were literally my first encounters with pre-baroque music, almost immediately after his death. Still much cherished and in use as reference, as the 2LP set Instruments of Middle Ages and Renaissance is as well - but that one I acquired much later (in a Sales in the early 1980s).

It is beyond belief that he would only be 70 had he made a different decision.

For a couple of little small but very joyful pieces I'd suggest DesPrez' El Grillo e buon Cantore, Scamarella va alla guerra, La spagna and Vive le Roy. Some 6 minutes altogether, celebrating Munrow's joyous playful personality.
        A more thoughtful piece would be DesPrez' La Déploration de Jehan Ockeghem, to mourn our loss.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-06-12, 09:22.

Comment

• gamba
          Late member
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
          Thank you doversoul. Although I have always been interested in 'early music,' his programmes & the manner in which he delivered them was quite unique.

There is however something special I have to thank him for, Dufay's Mass ' Se le face ay pale. ' I once thought this kind of music was not for me, I listened & became ' hooked .' A totally & utterly hypnotic experience !

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by gamba View Post
            There is however something special I have to thank him for, Dufay's Mass ' Se le face ay pale. ' .... A totally & utterly hypnotic experience !
            That's exactly what it still is for me too (and adding the original "song" helps to discover the Mass' intricacies even more)

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

So many things to thank him for - the Praetorius Terpsichore and Susato Danserye etc...but I think the recording that probably touched me most was his "Music of the Gothic Era" for Archiv, which was the first time I had heard Léonin and Pérotin...magical!

Comment

Working...
              X