• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Rousseau.and Tempesta di Mare

Saturday
    Lucie Skeaping introduces a focus on the Philadelphia-based baroque ensemble Tempesta di Mare, which celebrates its first decade of music making during this 2012 season. The programme features performances from three of their recent concerts, including music by Vivaldi, Pisendel, Telemann, Dall'Abaco and Fasch

Sunday
    "Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains" - words made famous by the philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau. But Rousseau was more than just a writer of philosophy. He was also a keen composer and musician; amongst his musical output are seven operas. He also wrote about music and at times earned his living as a music copyist. Catherine Bott explores his intriguing musical life in the week of the 300th anniversary of his birth.

[ed] http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jyzf2

An intriguing programme. No play list yet.
    Last edited by doversoul1; 23-06-12, 20:26.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Fasch...great stuff...and great playing from Tempesta recorded 'live'.

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Never mind the podcast, where is the play list? This is not a live programme, or is it?

Other than that, Catherine Bott was informative and entertaining as always. The music was, well, not enormously interesting, but that didn’t make the programme less interesting.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
        The music was, well, not enormously interesting, but that didn’t make the programme less interesting.
        Yes, I enjoyed.

Good Lord, I do so loathe Rousseau!

I'm with all those who were agin him - Diderot, Voltaire, Hume...

Rousseau's self-centred sentimentalist self-righteous humourless totalitarianism - brrrr - grrrr

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Well, I've been bandying about the word 'Rousseau-esque' for most of my life. Not wholly sure what it means, but it seems to impress people.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

I see that 'Night Waves' tonight at 10pm will be discussing Rousseau...

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Well, I've been bandying about the word 'Rousseau-esque' for most of my life. Not wholly sure what it means, but it seems to impress people.
              "Back to Nietzsche" is something I occasionally like to bandy about.

Comment

Working...
              X