• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

AAM Live in Concert: 27 June

R3 Live in Concert on Wednesday 27th

To close their season, the Academy of Ancient Music is joined by their choir and directed by Richard Egarr at the organ in a programme of French Baroque music celebrating the golden age of music at the court of the 'Sun King', Louis XIV.

Four of Lully's profound church works are interspersed with instrumental pieces by his contemporaries, Charpentier and Marais.

• jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Does look interesting, doesn't it - I'll do my best to attend virtually...

Comment

• JohnSkelton

It does look good, and I'll be very interested to hear the Lully. Eggar's Louis Couperin recordings are excellent, so he's got a feel for what can be elusive music.

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

I don’t know about the opinions of the experts on the Forum but I thought it was a splendid concert. I tend to prefer Italian Baroque but I thoroughly enjoyed Lully et.al tonight. I also find the three-soprano motet (?) that Stephen Johnson played at the interval very beautiful (no information on the website.)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
          I don’t know about the opinions of the experts on the Forum but I thought it was a splendid concert. I tend to prefer Italian Baroque but I thoroughly enjoyed Lully et.al tonight. I also find the three-soprano motet (?) that Stephen Johnson played at the interval very beautiful (no information on the website.)
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

I concur with the above - a lovely concert.

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
            I tend to prefer Italian Baroque but I thoroughly enjoyed Lully et.al tonight.
            Doversoul, Lully was Italian, so perhaps an Italian influence in his music attracted you?

Comment

Working...
            X