• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Salamone Rossi & Isabella d'Este

Saturday
    Catherine Bott presents a programme of music from the winners of last year's York Early Music Festival Young Artist Award: Profeti della Quinta. They'll be singing music by the Italian Jewish composer Salamone Rossi "Il Mantovano Hebreo", who was served at the court of Mantua from 1587 to 1628.

Martin Handley played a short piece by Salamone Rossi on Breakfast (before Carmen Fantasie by F. Waxman) and said, ‘if this sort of Italian Renaissance music is to your taste, look no further than to today’s Prom’s repeat this afternoon. La Tarantella performed by L'Arpeggiata’. Surely, he was /had meant to refer to this EMS?

Sunday
    Lucie Skeaping explores the life and musical passions of one of the most important and influential women of the Italian Renaissance, Isabella d'Este. Featuring music from, amongst others, Ockeghem, Josquin, Cara and Tromboncino (R).

Works by many ‘less often played’ composers.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Wasn't Rossi featured on another EMS a while ago? Or is this a repeat? (Haven't LA-ed yet)

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

He was but it was a different programme.

Sat 19 Nov 2011
      Lucie Skeaping explores the life and extraordinary music of Salamone Rossi, a 17th Century Jewish composer based in Mantua. He wrote a collection of psalms and motets in Hebrew, for the Synagogue, drawing on the Italian polyphonic style of composition employed by the Christian Church. In a period of intense anti-Semitism, when the Jewish community in Italy were required by law to wear on their clothing a yellow 'badge of shame', Rossi's musical skills were highly regarded by the Mantuan court. His collection was not only the first of its kind; it would also remain unique for more than two hundred years

As for Saturday’s programme, I enjoyed Profeti della Quinta’s performance. It was (I thought) not super polished and had no ‘innovative’ elements added. I very much enjoyed Rossi's instrumental works too.
      Last edited by doversoul1; 05-08-12, 08:30.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Just heard latest Rossi programme. A fine recital by Profeti della Quinta. What amazing chittarone players! Thanks for the tip-off doversoul. I'm all behind now....missing today's programme! Oh well.....

Comment

Working...
        X