Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new forum

I like the new forum! I'm a particular fan of the presenters of this programme...Lucy Skeaping and the amazing Ms Bott. I hope there will be lots of lively discussion here.

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I like the new forum! I'm a particular fan of the presenters of this programme...Lucy Skeaping and the amazing Ms Bott. I hope there will be lots of lively discussion here.
    Seconded, (one each). Two outstanding presenters - really know their stuff, are also fine performers (in ther different ways), empathetic interviewers, amusing...really one of the best spots on R3.

Only last Sunday I enjoyed Catherine's interview with Hopkinson Smith, Hoppy to his friends, an entertaining character as well as great lutenist. 16th and 17th century instrumental music is the fastest growing section of my CD collection.

Comment

Thirded
      I particularly enjoy the programme when Lucy Skeaping digs up obscure (to me, that is) composers or music practices and their historical background.

This Saturday, the programme introduces Apollo's Fire. Andrew McGregor played a track from their new release and commented ‘too polite’ or something to the effect. Come to think of it, we rarely hear American early music groups on Radio3. Are there still not so many or am I just being ignorant? Anyway, as for this ensemble, I read it somewhere that Philippe Jaroussky is due to join their concert tour (in the US) in 2012 (I think).

Not directly related to the programme but I thought this looks interesting. Has anyone heard it or the volume 1? I don’t think I have come across this group before.

Gesualdo: Madrigals Book 2:, Delitiae Musicae conducted by Marco Longhini
      Gesualdo wasn't yet a mould-breaker, but his second madrigal collection is still very beautiful, writes Andrew Clements

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
        This Saturday, the programme introduces Apollo's Fire. Andrew McGregor played a track from their new release and commented ‘too polite’ or something to the effect. Come to think of it, we rarely hear American early music groups on Radio3. Are there still not so many or am I just being ignorant? Anyway, as for this ensemble, I read it somewhere that Philippe Jaroussky is due to join their concert tour (in the US) in 2012 (I think).
        You just got in before me, ds - I've started a new thread about this.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I hope and expect that this will be a fascinating board.

My only concern is that Historically Informed Performance not be ghettoised(??) here, since in so many ways it has become the mainstream.

And why should that process not continue. For me, the closer we can get to composers' wishes, expectations and sound world, the better.

Comment

It's actually a very lively world.

…Are there still not so many…
            --
            Mark

Comment

Mark.
              Thank you. Is there a distinct ‘American school of thoughts’ on early music performance or is the music ‘unversal’?

Comment

Mark.
                Thank you. Is there a distinct ‘American school of thoughts’ on early music performance or is the music ‘unversal’?
                I imagine there's plenty of crossover these days, for example our own Nigel North has been Professor of Lute at Bloomington, Indiana since 1999 http://www.nigelnorth.com/.

Comment

dover,

Generally speaking, the approach is pretty mature. Music is seen as music. There are 'local' traditions (e.g. the Boston, the New York) and ways of doing things. But, none of the usual attempts to impose and re-inforce juvenile fetishes borne of ignorance.

(Unlike in other spheres: I learnt today that the US is no longer accepting post from (among other countries?) Austria: a book I hoped to receive was rejected… the obsession with terrorist threats.)
                  Mark.
                  --
                  Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X