No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dalmatian Music and Other Purcell

Saturday
    Catherine Bott presents a programme of little-known Renaissance & Baroque music from Croatia & Dalmatia. Robert Hollingworth conducts the BBC Singers in specially made recordings of pieces by the Italian-born Tommaso Cecchino as well as home-grown composers Julije Skjavetic, Vinko Jelic and Ivan Lukacic. Much of their music was written for churches in Dubrovnik, Sibenik, Split and on the island of Hvar
    Catherine Bott presents Renaissance and baroque music from Croatia and Dalmatia.

Robert Hollingworth conducts the BBC Singers. An interesting combination…

Sunday
    For centuries it's been widely accepted that the composer Daniel Purcell was the younger brother of the more celebrated Henry. Now, though, it's thought that they may actually have been cousins rather than brothers. Apart from a much loved Magnificat & Nunc Dimittis, Daniel Purcell's music has remained largely in the shadow of his older relative, but thanks to a handful of recent recordings, it's now being considered much more on its own merits.
    Lucie Skeaping looks at the life and music of Daniel Purcell, with performances from the Parnassian Ensemble, Chichester Cathedral Chor, and violinist Hazel Brooks and harpsichordist David Pollock, who have recently released some of Purcell's previously unrecorded chamber music

Lucie Skeaping explores the life and music of Henry Purcell's composer cousin, Daniel.

…must be one of the top ‘less often heard’ composers.

CD Review
    11.25am
    Italian Virtuosi of the Chitarrone
    Jakob Lindberg (chitarrone)

Gottfried Finger - The Complete Music for Viola da Gamba Solo
    Petr Wagner (viola da gamba), Ensemble Tourbillon

STOLZEL: 9 Quadri di Dresda e Bruxelles
    Epoca Barocca

ZELENKA: Gaude laetare ZWV 168; Missa Sanctissimae Trinitatis ZWV 17
    Makoto Sakurada (tenor), Gabriela Eibenova (soprano), Carlos Mena (alto), Ensemble Inegal, Prague Baroque Soloists, Adam Viktora (conductor)

(Listen out for the ‘alto’. I was very impressed by his Victoria’s Motets when they were played on the programme some time ago.
    http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/H...undi/HMG507042)

Robert Hollingworth conducts the BBC Singers. An interesting combination…
    Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
      (Listen out for the ‘alto’. I was very impressed by his Victoria’s Motets when they were played on the programme some time ago.
      http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/H...undi/HMG507042)
      Yes, very nice indeed. I remember seeing him with Gérard Lesne at St John's, Smith Square, a number of years ago doing Couperin's Leçons de ténèbres, which was wonderful.
      My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

Dalmatian Music

It was interesting to hear about the composers and their music, and the symphony by Luka Sorkocevic would fit nicely in TTN. As for the specially recorded for Radio3 items, I shall leave it to choral experts to comment.

Comment

Daniel Purcell

Daniel Purcell is certainly not another Orpheus but his music is enjoyable and if he kept the tradition of English chamber music behind the musical fashion of all things Italian, his music deserves to be heard more often. This programme ties in nicely with this week’s Composer of the Week.

Comment

Working...
          X