• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AAM Live on 3 Tonight (Wednesday 26)

Veracini, Vivaldi
    Live from the West Road Concert Hall, Cambridge
    Presented by Catherine Bott
    Italian Passions: the Academy of Ancient Music and Bernarda Fink with vocal and instrumental music by Albinoni, Vivaldi, Ferrandini and Veracini.

Buggerit

I thought that said AMM

But i'm sure it will be fine music all the same
    West Road is a good venue in my experience .........

Comment

Thanks for that Doversoul. I hope to hear it, live or later. saly

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        Buggerit

I thought that said AMM

But i'm sure it will be fine music all the same
        West Road is a good venue in my experience .........
        Yes it's a good concert venue, acoustically - I conducted a lovely concert there a few weeks ago but only about 100 people came to hear it!
        As a recording venue it leaves much to be desired, as without an audience in place it has a 'flutter echo'.

Comment

I've found that in several (sometimes rather expensively made new ones as well ) halls in the last few years.
          Last thing I did at West Road was a music/dance thing with amplification so not really a problem

Comment

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
            Yes it's a good concert venue, acoustically - I conducted a lovely concert there a few weeks ago but only about 100 people came to hear it!
            As a recording venue it leaves much to be desired, as without an audience in place it has a 'flutter echo'.
            That's sad waldhorn. I would have made it an audience of 101, if I had a magic carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
              Veracini, Vivaldi
              Live from the West Road Concert Hall, Cambridge
              Presented by Catherine Bott
              Italian Passions: the Academy of Ancient Music and Bernarda Fink with vocal and instrumental music by Albinoni, Vivaldi, Ferrandini and Veracini.
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qwj1m
              No, you haven't missed it. It is, of course, tonight Wednesday 27th.

Ooops! We all do it from time to time.

HS

Comment

Oops indeed… Please Host, can you correct the date?

Thank you HS

Comment

heard it driving home .... a delightful accompaniment to the large lorry in front on a narrow country road .. and we ambled our ways home ...
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

I really enjoyed this concert, including the interval feature on castrati with its broadcast of an extract from the 1902 recording of the last castrato Antonio Moreschi. Bernarda Fink's advocacy of the Ferrandini cantata "Il Pianto di Maria" was certainly justified on this hearing, though to me it did not really sound like Handel, to whom it was originally attributed. The Albinoni oboe concertos were also worth hearing (I was first impressed by some of these on an old CfP LP with Sidney Sutcliffe and the Virtuosi of England conducted by Davison).

Comment

I very much enjoyed the concert, too. However, I am not too sure about the interval feature. I may have misunderstood or missed something but the programme seemed to suggest that, yes, the surgery was certainly nasty and yes, out of many thousands boys who were castrated, only a handful became superstars that we know today, but as these boys were educated well beyond their parents means, there were plenty of opportunities for employment. Churches up and down the country had choirs to begin with. They were also highly sort after by rich women as their toy boys, ‘emphasis on toy, rather like a vibrator today’ said the guest who explained castrati’s biological ‘advantages’. So after all, those boys didn’t do too badly thanks to the church…. From the title of the programme ‘High and Dry’ as well as the introduction by Catherine Bott, I had expected something rather different. Maybe Cecilia Bartoli has given the world (me at least) a wrong idea. Well, I am glad to know that those boys were not sacrificed after all…

Also, what did the producer mean by throwing in Philippe Jaroussky with no introduction for the first track and a briefest one for the second, (almost) as if to demonstrate the voice of castrati?! (The CD is, incidentally, Carestini: Story of a Castrato). And please note Ms King, he is Jaroussky and not Yaroussky.
                      Last edited by doversoul1; 02-03-13, 00:14.

Comment

Working...
                      X