X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I've just given an off-air DVD a spin, from 10 Sept 2010 PROM, of the Vespers; several choirs, English Baroque Soloists, His Majestys Sagbutts and Cornetts, Monteverdi Choir/JEG. An enormous sense of ritual and occasion in the capacious space of the RAH. Refreshing.

Incidentally, I recall a discussion on the R3 boards some years ago covering one of the early post-war performances of the Vespers at York Minster, June 1957, as part of the York Festival of the Arts. I was playing in the Mystery Plays at the time and we were given access to the afternoon rehearsal. I knew nothing about the impact of the work or the extraordinary experience of hearing the voice of Alfred Deller in performance. No subsequent performance has passed that particular occasion.

Comment

• JFLL
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
      ... why are they bookending the programme with the first Gardiner recording's opening and closing movements? Pioneering and all that, but unlistenable in terms of both solo singing and instrumental playing.
      You know, this sort of comment, I'm afraid, is just the sort of thing that puts neutrals off HIPP zealotry. Would anyone these days say that, for example, Walter's Mahler 9 of 1938 was unlistenable?

Comment

• hmvman
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Damn. Had I known, I would have gone myself.
        Incidentally, this is not the musical fare I associate with St Michael le Belfrey.
        Sorry I couldn't have posted about it sooner, EA. It was an excellent performance in my humble opinion and it was good to see the church well filled with audience.

You'll be pleased to know the drum kits and keyboards were pushed well out of the way

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Heavens! How appallingly dated that JEG first 1610 Vespers sounded. I bought it and I really wish I hadn't.

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

L’Orfeo and Poppea

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme.
            Jordi Savall’s L’Orfeo seems to be the only one entire opera on youtube.
            L' ORFEO: Favola in Musica (1607) - Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643).(Representación de Jordi Savall y La Capella Reial de Catalunya en el Gran Teatro del Li...

As for Poppea (I posted these on the other thread but just in case), there are a couple of recent productions on youtube:
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Poppea - Sonya Yoncheva
            Nerone - Max Emmanuel Cencic
            Ottavia - Ann Hallenberg
            Ottone - Tim Mead
            Le Concert d'Astrée, ensemble en residence à l' Opéra de Lille.
            Emmanuelle Haïm conductor
            Opera de Lille 22 Mars 2012

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Poppea Danielle de Niese
            Nerone Philippe Jaroussky
            Ottavia Anna Bonitatibus
            Ottone Max Emanuele Cencic
            Les Arts Florissants
            Conductor William Christie.
            Teatro Real Madrid, 2010.

And this was the Disc of the Week 22 May 2010
            Claudio Cavina and La Venexiana

Comment

• Simon

I know Poppea far better than Orfeo. I'm now wondering why. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole programme and CB as the messaggera was an eye-opener. Thanks to all involved. S-S!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Stan Drews View Post
                Oh, and by the way, Don Smithers (whom the gods preserve) was 80 last month and still seems to be going strong. (And then
                there was Edward H Tarr, and , and ......
                ...Roger Voisin? Or was he not HIP enough??
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                  I know Poppea far better than Orfeo. I'm now wondering why. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole programme and CB as the messaggera was an eye-opener. Thanks to all involved. S-S!
                  Is this the CD?

I have looked at a number of video clips of L’Orfeo but have more or less decided that I prefer it just as music. None of the Orfeo fits my own image.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                    None of the Orfeo fits my own image.
                    Why, who were you modelling yourself on Dovers?

Comment

• JFLL
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      Heavens! How appallingly dated that JEG first 1610 Vespers sounded. I bought it and I really wish I hadn't.
                      I know what you mean. The other day I played an old recording of the Busch Quartet in Beethoven quartets. The rubato and portamenti that they used! How could we ever listen to those appalling performances in these enlightened times? I put them straight in the bin.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        Agree, I didn't like the sound of it as broadcast on the EMS. How long after it was issued did you purchase it though Draco? Was anything else available? Sometimes you just have to take a chance. Although nowadays there are plenty of opportunities to try before you buy.

OG

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                          You know, this sort of comment, I'm afraid, is just the sort of thing that puts neutrals off HIPP zealotry. Would anyone these days say that, for example, Walter's Mahler 9 of 1938 was unlistenable?
                          the original and best, the first JEG !

(and not really unlistenable, surely, even if other versions are more to a particular taste?)
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

I prefer JEG's DG ARchiv recording, than his Decca! I also have this on DVD too, showing a very dated hair cut
                            . I also have New College Oxford and higgiboton and Andrew parrott(who, incoidentally goives a more kind spiritual performance?
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

I just keep feeling the need to express my excitement as a young person at hearing the 1610 Vespers being performed in public, and at being lucky enough to be involved in its airing at a time when it was not widely heard. So when decent recordings came along...however un-HIPP...the joy was compounded. Of course the Vespers were known about, and I'm sure there were earlier performances of it. But my recollection of it before, say 1960, is that it was sung and played through by profs and their students (usually using a grand piano) and that pioneers such as Nadia Boulanger made it and other Monteverdi known to her (often illustrious) composition students....also via a grand piano.

If my recollections are wrong, no doubt someone will tell me!

Comment

Working...
                              X