Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's Live in Concert

For Every Syllable a Note: Alamire chart the music of the Tudor Dynasty from the pre-Reformation flowerings of the Eton Choirbook through Archbishop Parker's Psalter and the 'Father of English Music,'Thomas Tallis,' to the great Elizabethan motets and votive offerings of William Byrd.

Very much enjoying this at the moment

OG
    Last edited by Old Grumpy; 24-04-13, 20:53. Reason: Link to BBC website inserted

Snap, OG! Just posted a similarly enthusiastic message on 'Performance' http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...972#post286972

Fantastic, isn't it
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Snap, OG! Just posted a similarly enthusiastic message on 'Performance' http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...972#post286972

Fantastic, isn't it
      Glad to see I beat you by one minute!

Comment

I couldn't hear it live, so it'll have to be the iPlayer.

I know the Taverner O Splendor Gloriae - is there another one by Tye, or do we just think he wrote bits of Taverner's?

Comment

I was a bit irked by the applause every item - or almost - plus interviews and PT braying.
          Actually, I am not convinced that this sort of material is right for concerts - well, not in the format chosen tonight.
          Beautifully sung, no doubt about that, but just..............?

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
            I couldn't hear it live, so it'll have to be the iPlayer.

I know the Taverner O Splendor Gloriae - is there another one by Tye, or do we just think he wrote bits of Taverner's?
            The Sadler partbooks in the Bodleian Library ascribe the piece to Taverner, while John Baldwin's partbooks in the library of Christ Church, Oxford ascribe it to both Taverner and Tye. Baldwin's Commonplace Book in the Bodleian contains two sections of the piece, the first of which is ascribed to Taverner, the second to Tye. Arguably the second half, with its closely-worked imitation, sounds more like Tye than Taverner.
            My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

Working...
            X