• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Early Music on youtube

As it’s rather thin on early music on R3 this week, I thought I might share some of my recent youtube discoveries:

A major opera catch to begin with:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Jean Philippe Rameau 1735 Les Indes Galantes: W Christie Les Arts Florissants with English subtitles.
    (I must say, toward the end I felt rather like being fed with too much rich food.)

One of the ‘rarely performed works’ Radio3 broadcast during the Baroque Spring was a Vivaldi’s oratorio Juditha Triumphans. It was an all-female voice performance which made it quite hard to follow but there is no such problem when watching it even as a concert performance. I don’t think this is the same performance as that on Radio 3. This is by Venice Baroque conducted by Andrea Marcon.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Libretto with an English translation (from p17)

Not an opera but a wonderful song recital:
    La lyra d'Orfeo: Luigi Rossi à la cour d'Anne d'Autriche
    Christina Pluhar & L'Arpeggiata with Veronique Gens

Pergolesi’s Stabat Mater is not exactly a discovery but I find this live performance rather good. (As far as I am concerned Concerto Köln can’t go wrong).
    Kijk voor meer klassieke muziek op http://klassiek.avro.nl en http://www.hetzondagochtendconcert.nlHet Stabat Mater van Pergolesi door Concerto Köln o.l.v. P...

(Last accessed 5 June 201)
    Last edited by doversoul1; 05-06-13, 21:15.
  • Pegleg
    • Apr 2012

Good links DS. It's a pity the Rameau opera is not in higher video quality. Concerto Koln have had some interesting collaborations, e.g:

For an alternative performance of Juditha Triumphans try this:

Festival de Beaune 2011

Federico Maria Sardelli (direction)
    Ann Hallenberg (Judith)
    Nicky Kennedy (Vagaus)
    Delphine Galou (Holofernes)
    Loriana Castellano (Abra)
    Rosa Bove (Ozias)

le Choeur de Chambre de Namur
    l'Orchestre Modo Antico

"Quanto magis generosa" is a real highlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAJJh...QFtkZt6sBa1SE8 starts at 1.40

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Well, my Youtube suggestions are not exactly new discoveries, but one can be entertained quite extensively by Jarousky's offerings...some quite amazing IMHO.

Comment

• Pegleg
        • Apr 2012

"The tone of an angel and the virtuosity of the devil" is one description I've read of Jarousky. As to vids, this one probably fit's into ardcap's amazing bracket:

TEATRO D' AMORE - Nuria Rial,Philippe Jaroussky,Christina Pluhar ,L' Arpeggiata - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYY-ukMBVu4 with the love duet Pur ti miro at 14mins.

Back to Juditha Triumphans, it's interesting to cf Hallenberg & Stradeli with this performance of "Quanto magis generosa":

From "Juditha Triumphans"Sara Mingardo JudithaDuilio M.Galfetti Viola d`amoreI BarocchistiDiego Fasolis

Sara Mingardo Juditha

Duilio M.Galfetti Viola d`amore

I Barocchisti

Diego Fasolis

My money is on Hallenberg.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

He’s grown up a bit. Here the same duet with Marie-Nicole Lemieux plus an additional (fun) encore
          Monteverdi: Pur ti miroSances: Lagrimosa beltà (not so serious version......)if you have any problems with this being on youtube, please contact me and I wil...

There was an entire recording of La Giudutta by Alessandro Scarlatti, an oratorio based on the same story as Juditha Triumphans. Alas, it has been deleted (in the last couple of days)

Comment

Working...
          X