Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fretwork

A really interesting EMS today. Fretwork not only played some of its core repertory, but gave us some 'contemporary' stuff written for the instruments too. Richard Boothby also discussed some of the technical aspects of viols, especially the implications of playing a fretted, bowed instrument. Recommend LA-ing this one if you missed it.

I second the recommendation.

Also, this seems to be a good project. I was quite impressed by the winners’ works last year.

The National Centre for Early Music and BBC Radio 3's Early Music Show presents our third annual young composers award. This year we are partnered by one of the foremost viol groups in the world, Fretwork, and we are asking young composers who are resident in the UK to write a new work of up to four minutes' duration, which utilises the remarkable playing skills of this six-strong early music ensemble

[ed.] Part II of ‘Fretwork Weekend’ tomorrow (Sunday)
    Last edited by doversoul1; 12-02-11, 21:16.

Comment

Thirded, if you like viols and EM.

Comment

Interesting also for the performance of part of George Benjamin's Upon Silence, for mezzo-soprano and five viols - a setting of Yeats's The Long-Legged Fly. If you like viols, which I do, and Yeats, which I do, and the wonderful singing of Susan Bickley, it bears some listening again. But perhaps that would be a matter for a different thread, and I don't think George Benjamin has come up there. I did try on the old boards to invite discussion of his music, which, though I instinctively like, I find difficult to talk about, but it was not a popular topic.

Comment

I love Fretwork.

Comment

I love Fretwork.
            So do I. Have you heard Phantasm? They play in a different style, which one could describe perhaps as more suave. Also, anyone heard of the Rose Consort lately?

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              So do I. Have you heard Phantasm?
              O! yes !

And if you love guitars, classical that is and flamenco, this gentlemen, (luthier) is divine.

http://www.traphagenguitars.com/

and ps, Consort, not yet ....

Comment

Working...
              X