No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Whitworth RIP

He died last month - I hadn't realised.

Countertenor who enjoyed an international career and went on to become a professor at the Guildhall School of Music

A fine musician, and one of the nicest, most unassuming people you could hope to meet.

Interesting, though I do think it's September now.

I was unaware of him, or his contribution to the Purcell revival. Thanks for pointing this out.

Comment

Loughborough University has an international reputation for excellence in teaching and research, strong links with industry, and unrivalled sporting achievement

Comment

Soprano/countertenor 'duologue' - just in case the first voice confuses!

- Come when I call, or tarry till I come,If you be deaf I must prove dumb. - Stay awhile, my heav'nly joy, I come with wings of love,When envious eyes Time s...
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRr0a7s5QEM
          You beat me, and yes, I was rather taken aback by the first voice. Very quaint (the recording sound as well as the voice). Countertenor has come a very long way indeed.

Just for the matter of interest, one of the latest:
          Arias for Caffarelli. Naive: V5333. Buy download online. Franco Fagioli (countertenor) Il Pomo d’Oro, Riccardo Minasi

Comment

I am very sad that it seems as if no-one either knows or cares about the subject of my thread!

Comment

Well, I certainly remember John Whitworth's duetting with Deller in the famous old recording of 'Sound the Trumpet', which I got to know as a Oiseau Lyre cheapie sometime in the early 70s.

That Dowland duet posted by ff brings in another voice from the past, with very different connotations: the soprano was Mary Thomas, who did, I think, sing with the Deller Consort for a while, but whom I heard many times reciting Pierrot Lunaire and singing a lot of Max's pieces with the Fires of London.

Fagioli's countertenor is certainly very different! And, while admiring the ease with which he hits the high notes, I have to say that I find the overall sound absolutely horrible. If I want to hear a vibrato-laden soprano, then there are plenty on offer. But why go to the trouble of engaging a fine baroque band, playing stylishly, and then put that sort of singing on top of it?

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                I am very sad that it seems as if no-one either knows or cares about the subject of my thread!
                But it's educational to find out - I don't remember Alfred Deller when he was performing either.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I didn't know about John Whitworth, but now that you've brought his work to my attention, I care about it enough to regret my sad ignorance.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

But it's educational to find out - I don't remember Alfred Deller when he was performing either.
                    I heard and saw Alfred Deller live and duetting, but I think it was with his son.

Comment

I think people do, jean. In any case I most certainly do. JW was a major figure in the post-war 'rervival' of early music, and was a member of The Golden Age Singers, founded (I think) by the redoubtable Margaret Field-Hyde. In the sixties, much of the early choral repertory was unavailable on record, except as sung by that group. So even if their sound is dated now, they were pioneers.

I read that JW was also part of Leicestershire schools' music staff. Leicestershire had, at one time, the most amazing and forward looking county music for schoolkids, involving the likes of Tippett. It was an example that sadly, the rest of the country was unable to live up to, and also sadly, Leicestershire itself, when the cuts came, could not keep it up.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRr0a7s5QEM
                        I apologise - I read your post, and doversoul's reply, on my phone, and could not hear the recording very well, nor (crucially!) see the names of the performers.

I think John's voice would pass muster even now, but at that time there were few sopranos around who could sing in an appropriate style.

Comment

originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          I didn't know about John Whitworth, but now that you've brought his work to my attention, I care about it enough to regret my sad ignorance.
                          I am a late comer to this field and this is exactly my thought. Thank you, jean, for this post.

Comment

I too once owned the Deller/ Whitworth (Anthony Lewis??) recording of Purcell's 'Come ye Sons of Art away'. If I hadn't - sadly - traded it in for a David Munrow recording I'd give it a spin now in commemoration of JW.
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                            X