No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkish Delight on Early Music Show on Saturday 25

This looks interesting.

Lucie Skeaping presents highlights of a concert given in Bruges by the Sarband Ensemble and Armonico Tributo, which evokes the Turkish siege of Vienna in 1683. The music includes works by Johann Schmelzer, Georg Muffat and Johann Kerll as well as Turkish music from the 17th century.

Lucie Skeaping presents highlights of a concert given by the Sarband Ensemble in Bruges.

There seems to be far more concert recordings than research based programmes lately. I hope this is just a seasonal thing. I enjoy LS digging into odd corners of world history and presenting us with bags and boxes of musical delights.

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    There seems to be far more concert recordings than research based programmes lately. I hope this is just a seasonal thing. I enjoy LS digging into odd corners of world history and presenting us with bags and boxes of musical delights.
    A shared concern, Doversoul.

Comment

Well, it wasn’t as bland as a plain recorded concert. With Lucie Skeaping filling up the background with bits and pieces of information, it was quite a lively listening. I like the thought (even if it isn’t true) that Western classical music became acquainted with cymbals and triangles because they were scattered over the battle field after the Turkish army retreated.

I don’t know how authentic the Turkish music was but I was surprised to find that it sounded in so many places very much like madrigals (or are they motets?) of Carissimi or Strozzi etc.. By the way, if you missed the first half an hour of yesterday’s CD Review before Bruckner descended in full force, do listen again. A bag of goodies there.

Comment

Working...
      X