Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Chicago SO: Dutoit and Matthieu Dufour

Dutoit led a program featuring:

Dukas--La Peri
    Connesson (world premiere)--Flute Concerto
    S Saens--Organ Symphony

I had never heard the Dukas before, except for listening to it on Spotify a few days ago in preparation for the concert. I learned from the program notes that the composer published only 7 works during his lifetime, being very self critical, and I only knew the famous Mickey Mouse
    piece. The music has a lot of interesting textures and sits somewhere between the worlds of Roussel and Debussy/Ravel.
    The Flute Concerto was played by the CSO Principal. It is a very Pop inspired piece, certainly accessible, with a lot of percussion that overwhelms the Soloist at times. It was enjoyable if not memorable.
    This is the second time I have heard the CSO perform the Organ Symphony in the last couple of years. I'm not a particular devotee of the piece although it was well done. My favorite part is the scherzo but the rousing finale got a very positive response from the audience and we all went home into the cold Chicago night with a smile after an evening of French Music.
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

We are doing the Dukas La Peri with our school brass group this term.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
      We are doing the Dukas La Peri with our school brass group this term.
      Fascinating. At the concert I remarked to my wife that the Orchestration and playing was such an excellent example of how to use brass softly and lyrically. I also told her that Solti never would have conducted that work, because he would have murdered it.

Comment

Working...
      X