Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detroit Symphony Streams free

Watched the Saturday night concert from Detroit with the DSO. And a very good band it is. What's important is all their home concerts in Detroit are streamed for free on Youtube. Now isnt that great.The Youtube online chat with a mainly American audience during concert was commenting on how more American orchestras are doing this now,Cincinnati being another. Increasing its exposure, if it gets public money it also has a duty to stream for those who cant get to the concert, can't afford to pay or concert is sold out. UK orchestras should take note. I do know there are some European bands who stream free including Frankfurt Symphony. Bravo. https://www.dso.org/
    Last edited by ucanseetheend; 11-12-23, 02:57.
    "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Just had a look, and the concerts are available on catch up,so I might take in a few.
    Nice looking hall they play in !

thanks for the heads up U .
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Just had a look, and the concerts are available on catch up,so I might take in a few.
      Nice looking hall they play in !

thanks for the heads up U .
      Does one need to register in some way to see the videos - either live or recorded?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Does one need to register in some way to see the videos - either live or recorded?
        It looks as though one doesn't need to register. The videos are accessible from this parent page:

Watch and enjoy live concert videos by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, educational concerts, plus the full on-demand archive.

It is exceptionally generous of the Detroit SO to offer these videos without a pay firewall. By comparison, the Minnesota Orchestra offers the opportunity to watch the videos live for free, but then puts them behind a pay firewall after a few days (something like that). It also should be noted that the Detroit SO's generosity is all the more impressive because public funding for the arts in general in the US is quite, quite modest, to put it mildly. To my knowledge, we have no orchestras that have principally public funding, like the BBC orchestras or European radio orchestras, which would up the ante in terms of obligation to make their concerts accessible to those who cannot attend in person. I haven't made time for the Detroit SO videos yet, but if I do, I suspect that there is some buried treasure among them, and that I would then be inclined to make a donation.

Comment

Working...
        X