X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Mahler 3. CBSO /Nelsons. 19.30 17/06/15

THis should be some night at Symphony Hall, as Nelsons says his good byes to Brum.

Would love to be there for this. Have been thinking for a while about taking a trip up the M40 to hear something , and this would have been high on my list.

There is a new piece from Eriks Esenvalds to enjoy as well.

Andris Nelsons conducts the CBSO in Mahler's Symphony No 3 and a work by Eriks Esenvalds.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    THis should be some night at Symphony Hall, as Nelsons says his good byes to Brum.

Would love to be there for this. Have been thinking for a while about taking a trip up the M40 to hear something , and this would have been high on my list.

There is a new piece from Eriks Esenvalds to enjoy as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05yl1q1
    Is something boring, like work, stopping you from making the trip?

I know it's not always easy, but sometimes "just do it" works - if you want it to.

I guess that cost be an issue too - just looked to see if seats are available. There are some, but not too many, and they might be thought just a tad pricey by some. Maybe listening on R3 will turn out to be a reasonable option after all.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Hope he's up to it. He had to pull out of this at very short notice. The announcer made it sound like a medical emergency
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Is something boring, like work, stopping you from making the trip?

I know it's not always easy, but sometimes "just do it" works - if you want it to.

I guess that cost be an issue too - just looked to see if seats are available. There are some, but not too many, and they might be thought just a tad pricey by some.
        unfortunately Dave, on this occasion there pretty much is something stopping me, or at least making it difficult. But your point is well made.
        I don't seem to have much luck with Mahler 3.

it is almost sold out, but any boarders desperate to go might just pick up one of the last few tix.
        Last edited by teamsaint; 16-06-15, 22:58.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Hope he's up to it. He had to pull out of this at very short notice. The announcer made it sound like a medical emergency
          I guess thats why he chose a little lightweight piece.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

unfortunately Dave, on this occasion there pretty much is something stopping me, or at least making it difficult. But your point is well made.
            I don't seem to have much luck with Mahler 3.

it is almost sold out, but any boarders desperate to go might just pick up one of the last few tix.
            I sympathise.

Maybe try this next year - http://philharmoniedeparis.fr/fr/act...2-grand-finale

I'd like to visit that new hall.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              I sympathise.

Maybe try this next year - http://philharmoniedeparis.fr/fr/act...2-grand-finale

I'd like to visit that new hall.
              Thats a great shout Dave.

Hmmmm...sorely tempted.
              Tickets are a sensible price,and the hall/complex is certainly worth a visit. Thoroughly recommended.

blimey though...its almost sold out, a year ahead !! only a few tix behind the orchestra left...although that is where we sat a few weeks ago, and the seats were fine.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Thats a great shout Dave.

Hmmmm...sorely tempted.
                Tickets are a sensible price,and the hall/complex is certainly worth a visit. Thoroughly recommended.

blimey though...its almost sold out, a year ahead !! only a few tix behind the orchestra left...although that is where we sat a few weeks ago, and the seats were fine.
                Lucky you having already tried that hall out. It's still on my todo list.

Here is another - this has taken some finding - http://www.berliner-philharmoniker.d...details/22400/

It's amazing how much music does get performed in Berlin, but it also seems to be a rather narrow repertoire. One month seems almost completely devoted to Beethoven - which is not in itself a bad thing, but very little Mahler, Bruckner, Shostakovich - though Pelléas et Mélisande is being done several times.

Maybe the VPO does more Mahler - I'll check tomorrow.

Comment

• Zucchini
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  He was advised not to fly due to an ear infection but all's well now. Sorry to go off track but it was a serious emergency for last Thurs broadcast Symphony Hall concert and repeat at the Sheldonian on Fri.

Alpesh Chauhan, who's 25 and the CBSO Assistant Conductor had the scores delivered to his home the night before whilst he was having dinner. He had not studied the Strauss Horn Concerto No. 2 before. I'd heard the programme before under Nelsons. Alpesh did a fantastic job in this broadcast and I'm delighted for him. There are many tweets of congratulation from audience members.

CBSO Section Leader and Symphony Hall favourite, Elspeth Dutch, to my ears sounded wonderful, showing breathtaking dexterity and gorgeous legato. It's about 30mins in on iplayer:

A glowing review of Alpesh standing in some weeks ago for Donald Runnicles is here:
                  Last edited by Zucchini; 17-06-15, 19:31. Reason: correct iplayer timing

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Sorry to hear about the conductor's ear infection. I have had such from time to time - can be very painful.

Re Vienna and Mahler 3 - ts would have to pull out a lot of stops and probably lose "an arm and a leg" to get to this one - http://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/c.../event-id/5003 on Saturday. It does indeed seem likely that there may be more performances of Mahler in Vienna.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                      He was advised not to fly due to an ear infection but all's well now. Sorry to go off track but it was a serious emergency for last Thurs broadcast Symphony Hall concert and repeat at the Sheldonian on Fri.

Alpesh Chauhan, who's 25 and the CBSO Assistant Conductor had the scores delivered to his home the night before whilst he was having dinner. He had not studied the Strauss Horn Concerto No. 2 before. I'd heard the programme before under Nelsons. Alpash did a fantastic job in this broadcast and I'm delighted for him. There are many tweets of congratulation from audience members.

CBSO Section Leader and Symphony Hall favourite, Elspeth Dutch, to my ears sounded wonderful, showing breathtaking dexterity and gorgeous legato. It's about 20mins in on iplayer:

A glowing review of Alpesh standing in some weeks ago in for Donald Runnicles is here:
                      http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-e...sgow.125525618
                      What I heard of Mr Chauhan's concert sounded terrific to me.
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                        • Mar 2007

If desperate to hear Mahler 3, you could always try the forthcoming performance by Chetham's et al in Manchester on 3rd July.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Everybody too emotionally drained to comment?

Managed to catch most of it. Some obvious flaws, sadly ,such as multiple intonation problems in the third movement, and a Patchy performance from the Mezzo.

Plenty to enjoy although I'm Not sure it would have repaid the petrol and ticket money and half day off work required .

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

I managed to catch this but something seemed lacking and can't really put the finger on what it was. Did it sound like a run-through? I wonder if Nelsons was able to give it full rehearsal time following his medical problems? Yes, obvious flaws and agree about the mezzo, nothing special.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              I managed to catch this but something seemed lacking and can't really put the finger on what it was. Did it sound like a run-through? I wonder if Nelsons was able to give it full rehearsal time following his medical problems? Yes, obvious flaws and agree about the mezzo, nothing special.
                              Maybe you have picked up on the problem area Pet, and I tend to agree with your summary.

I did enjoy some things though.I thought the sound was terrific in the opening movement, for example, and the choir were good.

Comment

Working...
                              X