Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Around Europe

Today’s schedule with its simple un- clichéd presentation , end to end quality classic music starting with a Bach concert reminds me of the Wizzard classic - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Around Europe every (Sun)day.

Much enjoying the current contribution from the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam including the rarely used Maarschalkerweerd organ, although a little disappointed they were unable to fill the Dutch slot with one of the excellent home-grown choirs and more Low Countries seasonal choral repertoire (in addition to JP Sweelinck's Hodie Christus natus est), no offence to St John's College Choir. 231217-WEB.pdf (concertgebouw.nl) - with KCCC performing in the same venue tonight Kerst met het Choir of King's College - Het Concertgebouw​ !​
    Last edited by daktari; 17-12-23, 11:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
      Today’s schedule with its simple un- clichéd presentation , end to end quality classic music starting with a Bach concert reminds me of the Wizzard classic - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Around Europe every (Sun)day.
      Indeed - although sadly not free from advert intrusion. Grrr.

Comment

Originally posted by daktari View Post
        Much enjoying the current contribution from the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam including the rarely used Maarschalkerweerd organ, although a little disappointed they were unable to fill the Dutch slot with one of the excellent home-grown choirs and more Low Countries seasonal choral repertoire (in addition to JP Sweelinck's Hodie Christus natus est), no offence to St John's College Choir. 231217-WEB.pdf (concertgebouw.nl) - with KCCC performing in the same venue tonight Kerst met het Choir of King's College - Het Concertgebouw​ !​
        I was a bit surprised when I first saw that a couple of weeks ago but, in fairness,the music/performers aren't always directly tied to the country from which it's being broadcast, and the countries aren't always European. The Stockholm slot is a group, Musica Temprana, of non-Scandinavian origins, performing non-Scandinavian music...
        It's EBU which is the common thread, and that isn't limited to Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Indeed - although sadly not free from advert intrusion. Grrr.
          Yes a very congested trail fest between the Bach and the St Johns concert which led to an impromptu reprise of the Through The Night theme tune. It’s always the sequences where there’s not much to do for an hour and then a Mad flurry of activity for two minutes that create the problem which is why I never relished working in continuity. Nowadays there’s all those pesky computers as well.

The standard of CAE this year is very high - the singing in this current Stockholm concert is superb and some welcome unfamiliar repertoire.

Comment

Double grr! Lovely ending to the Copenhagen section given the ad treatment,thus spoiling the mood, and then just a few minutes later (Copenhagen finished early) yet another one before the 6pm slot.
            Why?
            Hannah French is proving herself more than capable of holding the fort while someone (or something?) finds a bit of music to fill the gap, so no need to double up the already intrusive and unwanted ads.
            This next section is seasonal movie music so seems a good time to make dinner - listening with half an ear.

Comment

This next section is seasonal movie music so seems a good time to make dinner - listening with half an ear.
              Precisely what I'm doing - and enjoying a glass of Picpoul at the same time!

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post

Precisely what I'm doing - and enjoying a glass of Picpoul at the same time!
                Vocal overload has led to Simon Trpceski Brahms PC’s 1 and 2 ; Elizabeth Brauss : Chopin B flat Minor Piano Sonata ; and Boris Giltburg et al Dvorak Piano Trios. The latter accompanied by an Estrella Damm lager.

Comment

Got caught out by movie music suddenly becoming movements from a Czech Mass...

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Why Clive Myrie, but not The Early Music Show?

BR Klassik & HR2 (plus others) had 14 hours of continuous Euroradio-Weihnachtstag - we only had ~12.5. Why interrupt and shorten it?
                    (BTW The BR Klassik link is still available to listen to for ~6 days - including the joys of Martin Handley being spoken over in German).

Comment

I'm getting a bit BWV729ed out, (it turned up at least twice), especially as I'll hear it again presumably on Christmas Eve from King's.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

BR Klassik & HR2 (plus others) had 14 hours of continuous Euroradio-Weihnachtstag - we only had ~12.5. Why interrupt and shorten it?
                        (BTW The BR Klassik link is still available to listen to for ~6 days - including the joys of Martin Handley being spoken over in German).
                        This is not proving a good morning for me so my somewhat waspish answers would be:-
                        The Clive Myrie slot is a 4 Sunday affair(supposedly a nod to Advent if one believes the online promo, but unsurprisingly nothing of the sort) so missing one out wasn't an option.
                        Name over-rides content - EMS is dispensable so loses in the precedence stakes.
                        There was more than enough early music in the EBU selection so EMS afficionados have no business feeling short-changed.

On a more positive note, as always there was much to enjoy, and for me the last 2 hours were especially good.
                        I like Portuguese sacred music anyway but as it's been polyphony up to now this was something I'd not come across - alternating voice and organ short verses.
                        Frei Francisco do Carmo: Organ Verses on the 6th tone, according to the prayer of the psalm from the Royal Choir at the Monastery of Arouca
                        From Sofia
                        Italian madrigals by Franco-Flemish composers, alongside Spanish villancicos and Orthodox strochny and demestvenny part-singing.

Comment

This is not proving a good morning for me so my somewhat waspish answers would be:-
                          The Clive Myrie slot is a 4 Sunday affair(supposedly a nod to Advent if one believes the online promo, but unsurprisingly nothing of the sort) so missing one out wasn't an option.
                          Name over-rides content - EMS is dispensable so loses in the precedence stakes.
                          There was more than enough early music in the EBU selection so EMS afficionados have no business feeling short-changed.

On a more positive note, as always there was much to enjoy, and for me the last 2 hours were especially good.
                          I like Portuguese sacred music anyway but as it's been polyphony up to now this was something I'd not come across - alternating voice and organ short verses.
                          Frei Francisco do Carmo: Organ Verses on the 6th tone, according to the prayer of the psalm from the Royal Choir at the Monastery of Arouca
                          From Sofia
                          Italian madrigals by Franco-Flemish composers, alongside Spanish villancicos and Orthodox strochny and demestvenny part-singing.
                          All good points.

Comment

I very much enjoyed the 'Icelandic' music episode, heard in the gathering twilight .

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

Isn’t part of the answer to your ‘why shorten it’ question contained in your reference to Martin Handley? He was introducing a BBC Singers concert which is being broadcast in full later this week, so it makes sense that it wasn’t included in Radio 3’s version of the EBU day. It seems that we were also denied Vilnius Voices’ offering which, having heard a bit of it via the BR Klassik link, I think may have been no great loss.

Comment

Working...
                              X