X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
    To be fair he wasn’t wearing a tuxedo

Fair enough!

(I’ve never been sure what a ‘tuxedo’ actually means, our ‘DJ / black tie’ or more generally, formal dress of any kind - I suspect the former… so you’re right and I withdraw the allegation ​​​​​​ )
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I think that in America a Tuxedo is simply a dinner jacket. But in England the word is often used to mean a white or cream dinner jacket, pioneered on the podium, in my recollection, by Colin Davis c.1967. His detractors called him 'the ice-cream man'.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

I’ve just finished dipping into the TV recording I set while I was away…

but I found there’s something fascinatingly awful about Thielemann. I can’t put my finger on it, just subtly grotesque. And when it got to his antics in the Radetzky March, it struck me he was like a tuxedo’d musical Donald Trump, patronising popularism in his gurning and gestures (including to players - twiddling fingers pointlessly indicating trills, etc). I found it an unsettling and creepy experience
        Put much more eloquently than I might manage ("unsettling and creepy", indeed). I'm sure that there is repertoire in which his reputed talents as a conductor blaze forth (Schumann symphonies?) but Strauss, Josef and Johann et al, don't seem to me to be part of it. Maybe I am being unfair - and his fans will leap to his defence - but I cannot but think of him as other than the Clemens Krauss de nos jours.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

Put much more eloquently than I might manage ("unsettling and creepy", indeed). I'm sure that there is repertoire in which his reputed talents as a conductor blaze forth (Schumann symphonies?) but Strauss, Josef and Johann et al, don't seem to me to be part of it. Maybe I am being unfair - and his fans will leap to his defence - but I cannot but think of him as other than the Clemens Krauss de nos jours.
          I’m glad I’m not alone!

I once sat Stalls front row centre at the ROH 6 feet behind him while he conducted Der Rosenkavalier - a sumptuous performance but the main thing I remember is being damn near asphyxiated by his astonishingly pungent cologne, wafts of which hit my nostrils with his every gesture! I admit this might colour my view of Herr T!!

Comment

I wonder if Thielemann decided that he needed to be "fun" for this occasion, but is rubbish at acting? Tory MPs and PMs come to mind for some reason...

Comment

I’ve enjoyed this concert rather more ‘audio only’ via the stream available from today. No spurious applause in Waldmeister nor any complaints with the recorded sound. Part two really did need a better programme imho.

Comment

He excels in Strauss (R.) and Wagner.

The ROH Rosenkavalier was notable for the length of the pause before he launched the trio.

Comment

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
                  He excels in Strauss (R.) and Wagner.

The ROH Rosenkavalier was notable for the length of the pause before he launched the trio.
                  That pause was excellent… I could breathe for a few seconds!

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

Except Clemens Krauss was a far better conductor of Johann Strauss and Richard for that matter.

Comment

I received the 2-CD set of this concert this morning, and I seem to be finding it every bit as good as most earlier NYD concerts. Yet I was less than impressed during the concert itself, which I watched live on TV.

Comment

Working...
                      X