Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stravinsky et al (16 January 2024)

Forgive me if I have introduced a new thread in the wrong place, but tonight's concert of Picasso and Stravinsky (and others) started with an announcement that, aside from the revolutions begat by these twain, there would be pieces by 3 young composers, equally as revolutionary as Igor.

Am I losing my mind? Who commissions this BS?

Are we all revolutionaries now, Father?

Comment

It looks as though you were making an interesting point there, but I'm afraid I couldn't see what it was. If you could put it in different words we might make a start.

I couldn't tell if you were criticising the music, the concept of linking artist and composer in a radio programme, the inclusion of new music with old, or the use of the word 'revolutionary'. .

Comment

smittims, thank you for flagging this up. To my eternal shame, I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick. Whilst listening to the announcement before the concert last night (the programme of which I was at the time unaware), I got distracted by other happenings in my house and misheard what was to be broadcast. I made the false assumption that the programme would feature Stravinsky and 3 other young LIVING composers, equally as revolutionary as Stravinsky. My initial thought was "how and in what way are 3 young living composers as revolutionary as IS?", thus triggering my ill-thought out rant! Due to the aforementioned house distractions I ended up not listening at all to the concert.

Mortified...

(Think before you speak, Tapiola!)

Comment

The listing on the R3 site is wrong, though.
          • Igor Stravinsky

Pulcinella - Suite

Orchestra: BBC National Orchestra of Wales. Singer: Katharine Dain. Singer: Jorge Navarro Colorado. Singer: Michel de Souza. Conductor: Ryan Bancroft.

​The blurb metions the full ballet (which includes the singers, whereas the suite doesn't), so where did the website intern get the suite bit from?

Comment

..alors, celui ci, c'est un canard...

Comment

Working...
            X