Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LSO (8th February) - Nathalie Stutzmann

I don't know if anyone else happened to be there but this was a thoroughly impressive performance, particularly Bruckner 7. The Mozart Piano Concerto was less remarkable (I know it's the traditional pairing but I wish they'd try a less predictable combination sometimes) - there was nothing wrong with it, it just didn't strike me as anything out of the ordinary and I was more impressed by the Brahms intermezzo Andsnes played as an encore.

I don't know how often Stutzmann has conducted Bruckner but this was very self-assured and without any fussy conducting mannerisms. If I'm being picky, the Adagio wasn't as impressive as the rest, but I always felt Stutzmann was in control and getting what she wanted from the LSO. I haven't heard them live for a long time but they were very impressive last night. I've come to appreciate our home orchestras a lot more over the years. Although the clean, sharp-edged sound of the LSO isn't the first band you think of for Bruckner, I thought they were terrific - a full, rich sound without being overbearing or on semi auto-pilot.

Anyway, just offering my thoughts. If you have a ticket for Sunday (Te Deum and Bruckner 9) I don't think you'll be disappointed. It was pretty full last night and I don't see many tickets for the next one.

Nathalie?

Comment

Yes, I wondered that.

I'm sorry I missed this concert; I was listening to Radio 3 in Concert'. Petrenko's tempi for Cockaigne were at times so slow (adding over three minutes to Elgar's own timing) they reminded me of the old joke about 'cocaine sending you to sleep'. But full marks to him for bringing out the 'fantastico' trombone glissandi later on . Sir Adrian was always abit too sober for this. And how nice to hear some Strauss Lieder in their orchestral guise. We don't often get that in a concert, apart from the famous Four Last Songs.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Nathalie?
        Oh no, that's shocking. I just got new glasses (that are going back to the shop) pecking away at my phone. Auto-correct strikes again!.

Comment

I tried to edit it but it won't let me. Can someone in charge change it to spare my blushes? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
            I tried to edit it but it won't let me. Can someone in charge change it to spare my blushes? Thanks.
            I was wondering what the story was ...
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I was wondering what the story was ...
              Thanks. No offence meant, just a silly mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post

Thanks. No offence meant, just a silly mistake.
                None taken! I'd rather make my own spelling mistakes than some robot's so I always have autocorrect turned off. However, it did send me searching for Stutzmann the conductor - which I'd missed. She seems to have created something of a stir (in a good way!).
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

None taken! I'd rather make my own spelling mistakes than some robot's so I always have autocorrect turned off. However, it did send me searching for Stutzmann the conductor - which I'd missed. She seems to have created something of a stir (in a good way!).
                  Yes, I really felt that I was listening to a performance conducted by a genuine musician, not someone who wants to impose their personality on the music with tics and mannerisms. It was very well attended too, so it seems like she's getting the recognition she deserves. There are so many over-promoted moderately talented conductors around that it's refreshing to come across someone who genuinely has 'something'. I'm sure we've all experienced that from time to time (and I find you only get that in a live setting) but it's rare enough to be memorable when it happens.

Comment

She seemed to have mildly roiled the Met Opera Orchestra

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

She seemed to have mildly roiled (sic) the Met Opera Orchestra
                      I think you might have to explain that quaint Americanism for some of us Brits. Possibly a portmanteau of riled and oiled but not sure that makes much sense!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

I think you might have to explain that quaint Americanism for some of us Brits!
                        Did she take them on a roiler-coaster ride?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

I think you might have to explain that quaint Americanism for some of us Brits!
                          Upset - don't you read The Guardian ?

Comment

Times review here:

Comment

Working...
                            X