No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LSO / Rattle - Gershwin , Harris and Adams

Hello and Happy Monday,
    Was anyone at the Barbican yesterday (3rd Mar 24) for the concert featuring the LSO, Sir Simon Rattle and Kirill Gerstein? It was a great programme brilliantly played. My draw to the concert was Roy Harris 3rd Symphony which I Iast heard live 30 years ago (almost to the day) with Rattle and the CBSO at the RFH (along with the chap sitting next to me!! - it's a small world!!) ... But the Gershwin overtures were great as was Kirill Gerstein in the Piano Concerto in F. I suspect most people were there for the world premiere of John Adams new piece, Frenzy. I thought it was a wonderful piece and despite it's title, has some quiet , almost hypnotic moments reminiscent of Shostakovich. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable evening. It's being broadcast on 28th Mar on R3... Would recommend it.

Thanks. I may tune in for the Harris to see how it compares with the classic Kossevitzky recording! As for Mr. Adams, well, I ought to be fair and give his piece a fair hearing, but I confess I can find little to enjoy in his music.
    Last edited by smittims; 04-03-24, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Thanks. I may tune in for the Harris to see how it compares with the classic Kossevitzky recording! As for Mr. Adamas, well, I ought to be fair and give his piece a fair hearing, but I confess I can find little to enjoy in his music.
      What??? The best of Holst, Ravel, Rachmaninov and Reich all rolled into one??? Next you'll be saying you don't like Karl Jenkins!!!

Comment

. Well, there's certainly some rolling going on: when something rolls it keeps repeating the same side again and again and again.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          . Well, there's certainly some rolling going on: when something rolls it keeps repeating the same side again and again and again.
          The good thing about John Adams is that, if you don't like the first couple of minutes of a piece, you'll almost certainly feel the same way about the remainder!
          (The same goes for Steve Reich, except that you'll probably have made your mind up after a minute and a half)

Comment

Remorseless good jokes at the expense of poor Adams (and Reich!). I went to hear Rattle and the LSO do Harmonium, a few years back, which was exciting to hear, but I wouldn't seek it out again (I went for the Birtwistle in the first half.)

I did think about this concert, again because of the chance to hear the Roy Harris, but in the end opted for last Thursday's Brahms VC with Shostakovich Sym 4 , which I'd never heard live. A fabulous concert.

Comment

I enjoyed hearing 'Drumming' and some of Reich's other pieces , in the 1970s, but for some reason I've never wanted to listen to them since. I know Adams is very popular and has some keen advocates, but I just havent heard anything in his music that makes me want to go on listening. So, to be fair, I ought to hear this forthcoming piece.

Comment

Working...
              X