Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York Phil March 8

We attended New York Philharmonic concert last week. Guest conductor was Elim Cham, Cellist Sol Gabeta
    . The latter is a known quantity, the conductor is a diminutive woman of Singaporean descent. The program was :
    1) Pisachi, by J.I. Tate a work for strings
    2) Martinu Cello Concerto #2
    3) Scheherazade, by Rimsky
    The Tate piece was meant to evoke the plains of Tate’s Indigenous American ancestry and was extremely effect with many open sixths. The Martinuis an extremely effective piece that I hadn’t encountered before. Given the relative paucity of Cello Concertos one wonders why. Gabeta encored with a solo piece by Petra’s Vasks that requires the player to vocalize and reveals that Sol has a very attractive voice.
    Cham is a very diminutive woman who uses extensive gestures. She reportedly was well received by the Orchestra and the Rimsky didn’t dissapoint

Surprisingly few recordings of Martinu VCl concerto 2 compared with those of number 1, but this CD of both is well worth exploring, Richard:

Martinu: Cello Concertos Nos. 1 & 2. Chandos: CHAN10547X. Buy CD or download online. Raphael Wallfisch (cello) Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Jirí Belohlávek

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      We attended New York Philharmonic concert last week. Guest conductor was Elim Cham, Cellist Sol Gabeta
      . The latter is a known quantity, the conductor is a diminutive woman of Singaporean descent. The program was :
      1) Pisachi, by J.I. Tate a work for strings
      2) Martinu Cello Concerto #2
      3) Scheherazade, by Rimsky
      The Tate piece was meant to evoke the plains of Tate’s Indigenous American ancestry and was extremely effect with many open sixths. The Martinuis an extremely effective piece that I hadn’t encountered before. Given the relative paucity of Cello Concertos one wonders why. Gabeta encored with a solo piece by Petra’s Vasks that requires the player to vocalize and reveals that Sol has a very attractive voice.
      Cham is a very diminutive woman who uses extensive gestures. She reportedly was well received by the Orchestra and the Rimsky didn’t dissapoint
      Not to nit-pick but the elfin-like (or diminutive if you prefer) Elim Chan was born and raised in Hong Kong, not in its great rival, Singapore. I saw her conduct the HK Philharmonic Orchestra just before Covid made its malign presence felt in 2020. I thought that her 'Petrouchka' was about as good as it can get - and the orchestra clearly enjoyed playing for her. She was also the Principal Guest Conductor of the Royal Scottish NO until last year - and can be heard with them in Benjamin Grosvenor's fine CD of the Chopin PCs. Very glad that she went down well with the NYPO - and with Richard!

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

Not to nit-pick but the elfin-like (or diminutive if you prefer) Elim Chan was born and raised in Hong Kong, not in its great rival, Singapore. I saw her conduct the HK Philharmonic Orchestra just before Covid made its malign presence felt in 2020. I thought that her 'Petrouchka' was about as good as it can get - and the orchestra clearly enjoyed playing for her. She was also the Principal Guest Conductor of the Royal Scottish NO until last year - and can be heard with them in Benjamin Grosvenor's fine CD of the Chopin PCs. Very glad that she went down well with the NYPO - and with Richard!
        Correct that she is fromHong Kong. She worked in Singapore, apparently first conducted Scherazade there. She also has a Doctorate from my alma mater, the University of Michigan. I suspect that she may have studied there with Bright Sheng, but he was Canceled a few years back and there is no mention of him in her bio.
        As for the diminutive part…I found myself standing a few feet away from her in the lobby post concert. I am six foot three, and I stand by my ‘elfin’ remark. Good things come in small packages

Comment

Working...
        X