Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berlin Staatskapelle working hard this Easter

We're spending a week in Berlin, seeing the current Ring Cycle at the Staatsoper. An interesting production, with some very fine singing - but probably the best feature for me is the playing of the Staatskapelle: absolutely outstanding in every department.

But one thing occurred to me, as I take a day off music today (after Rheingold on Wednesday and Walküre last night, and with Siegfried and Götterdämmerung to follow tomorrow and Monday). There’s no rest for at least some of the orchestra: as if an entire Ring Cycle in under a week wasn’t a sufficient workout, tonight in the Philharmonie they’re playing, of all light pieces, Bruckner 8!! I know German orchestras tend to have a larger range of personnel than a British orchestra, but there are bound to be a fair few who are doing all the performances. Chapeau, as they say over the border…

Quite an arduous week for you too - albeit very rewarding!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Or ‘Hut ab!’ if you prefer.

I’m sure that anyone actually doing all of those calls will be amply compensated and have a nice bit of free time elsewhere in the season!

Comment

Who is conducting, both the Wagner and the Brahms? When Barenboim left Chicago for that Orchestra they came here on tour soon afterward and I fell in love with the sound of the Orchestra. At the time I preferred them to the post Karajan BPO, although the BPO sound has evolved since then

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          ...they came here on tour soon afterward and I fell in love with the sound of the Orchestra ...
          We heard them a few yrs ago at Symphony Hall, Birmingham. The burnished, coppery sound was like.nothing I've heard before or since - incredible. Danny Boy conducted Schonberg & played LvB pc5 from the keyboard, re the last mov of which The Times said "... The magnicent Staatskapelle guided its wayward genius safely home"!

Sorry to interrupt Ostuni!
          Last edited by cria; 30-03-24, 14:28.

Comment

Philippe Jordan is conducting the Ring (his swiftish tempi don’t please the Barenboim and Thielemann fanboys on Twitter, but I like them); Mehta was conducting the Bruckner.

Comment

Working...
            X