Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wigmore live on Easter Monday

"The five-movement piece Al Asr by Benjamin Attahir, a French composer in his mid-thirties, is a fine work, very exciting and obeying Ravel’s recipe for good form: ‘continuity of interest’. The balance between long ostinatos and freewheeling melodic lines, using patterns from the music of the Middle East, is kept with a masterly hand. Roger Nichols"
    from a record review of a CD recorded by the AROD quartet which also includes the quartets by Debussy and Ravel as well as Al'Asr.

Excellent programming by R.3 to follow the first b.p. of ATTAHIR'S Stabat Mater a couple of weeks ago by the second broadcast of the composer's acknowledged masterpiece his Al"Asr quartet.

The work derives indirectly from the Muslim Afternoon Prayers liturgy. That may put readers in mind of Kancheli's works on similar texts but his rapt, prayerful pieces cannot hold a candle to Benjamin Attahir's tour de force., which is visionary and packed to the gunnels with heightened intensity. The virtuosity, both individual and corporate, needed to master this astonishing piece was shown fully in this live performance by the work's dedicatees. I was bowled over by the work's cumulative power and I rushed on-line to buy a copy of the CD recommended by Roger Nichols.

Please give this lunchtime concert which included Bach's Passion Chorale and Haydn"s superlative Emperor Quartet a listen on BBC SOUNDS.​
    Last edited by edashtav; 01-04-24, 16:55. Reason: Extending the text

Last edited by french frank; 01-04-24, 17:51.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Well, well, I was ignorant of the 'new' aspect of today's programme , ff!
      I think your suggestion of a move to Performance sounds like a good idea, although I'm a reluctant apostle for the changes which started today on R.3.

Comment

Slight rearrangement for this thread: the Sounds recording is of the whole 3-hour Classical Live programme. The Wigmore Hall recital is at the beginning, followed by the usual Afternoon Concert gallimaufry. The recital begins 4 mins in, after the news, and does start with the Bach chorale prelude although it's missing from the "tracklist". It moves into the Attahir without a break.

Last edited by french frank; 01-04-24, 18:15.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
        X