Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FNiMN

Apart from the rather woeful tenor, I'm really enjoying Friday Night Is Music Night so far. Some people will be of the view that it doesn't 'belong' on Radio 3, but for others it offers an opportunity to hear the kind of music that they're unlikely to hear anywhere else on the BBC. The return of FNIMN presumably also means that the members of the BBC Concert Orchestra need not worry too much about their future. I was surprised by the Finnish conductor's assertion that Sibelius's 'Spring Song' is not that well known, even in Finland.
    (I'm not sure how or why FNIMN became Fnimn!)
    Last edited by LMcD; 05-04-24, 20:35.

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    Apart from the rather woeful tenor, I'm really enjoying Friday Night Is Music Night so far. Some people will be of the view that it doesn't 'belong' on Radio 3, but for others it offers an opportunity to hear the kind of music that they're unlikely to hear anywhere else on the BBC. The return of FNIMN presumably also means that the members of the BBC Concert Orchestra need not worry too much about their future. I was surprised by the Finnish conductor's assertion that Sibelius's 'Spring Song' is not that well known, even in Finland.
    Yes Wyn is having an off night. I could do without the orchestra patting themselves on the back as well. But then I’m just a cynical jaded hack and we rarely got a chance to do that on air (quite rightly imv)
    .Some quite interesting music but Wyn watch that vibrato …

Comment

I think there's some odd restriction about use of capitals in titles.
      I'll see if I have permission/ability to change it, and if it accepts the change.
      Might be one for higher authorities!

PS
      Full capitals not accepted, but lower-case i (for is) in the middle was.
      OK?
      Last edited by Pulcinella; 05-04-24, 21:36. Reason: First attempt failed; compromise reached if acceptable.

Comment

Some people will be of the view that it doesn't 'belong' on Radio 3, but for others it offers an opportunity to hear the kind of music that they're unlikely to hear anywhere else on the BBC.
        You could have heard it every Friday on R2 if you'd been that interested!

The system is set to avoid 'shouting'. There was a member who regularly wrote their subject titles in capitals - a way of attracting attention to their threads. The setting resulted in threads about the Bbc and Cds. I think it's set to accept no more than three upper case letters in a row in thread titles.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I think there's some odd restriction about use of capitals in titles.
          I'll see if I have permission/ability to change it, and if it accepts the change.
          Might be one for higher authorities!

PS
          Full capitals not accepted, but lower-case i (for is) in the middle was.
          OK?
          Fine, thanks! I had to catch up with the last half-hour or so on Sounds because of another set of Friday night initials on BBC at 9.00 p.m. (It was Hislop and Merton that prompted me to go for capitals).
          I'm pleased to say that KD was not quite as unbearably over-enthusiastic as usual.
          Friday Night Is Domestic Chores Night chez moi and I couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable musical accompaniment.
          (I did listen regularly when it was on Radio 2).

Comment

Fine, thanks! I had to catch up with the last half-hour or so on Sounds because of another set of Friday night initials on BBC at 9.00 p.m. (It was Hislop and Merton that prompted me to go for capitals).
            I'm pleased to say that KD was not quite as unbearably over-enthusiastic as usual.
            Friday Night Is Domestic Chores Night chez moi and I couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable musical accompaniment.
            (I did listen regularly when it was on Radio 2).
            looks like just you and me LMcD sharing this not -at -all -guilty pleasure.

Despite the fact he’s overplayed Anderson’s Buglers’ Holiday is an absolute classic and v well played last night.

But please next time let’s get a singer who can hit the notes ….there are so many young superb ones out there.
            How about the truly excellent Alessandro Fisher for starters ?

Comment

With Jools Holland at noon today, welcome to Radio 2.5!

Comment

Yes, I can safely avoid these programmes, knowing I won't be missing any Schoenberg.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

looks like just you and me LMcD sharing this not -at -all -guilty pleasure.

Despite the fact he’s overplayed Anderson’s Buglers’ Holiday is an absolute classic and v well played last night.

But please next time let’s get a singer who can hit the notes ….there are so many young superb ones out there.
                  How about the truly excellent Alessandro Fisher for starters ?
                  I may join you before too long. I had other things to do on this occasion, but as the R2 version was something I listened to and enjoyed many years ago, I'm happy to give this a go.

Comment

Working...
                  X