Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yunchan Lim

Gramophone going big today on the Van Cliburn winner young Yunchan Lim who was only 18 then and is just 20 now . David Fanning gives very high marks to his Chopin Etudes coming out on Decca and Jeremy Nicholas raves about his Rachmaninov 3 with which he won the final .

It is on You Tube and so often with big hype I was slightly sceptical .

I was wrong - it is sensational and for an 18 year old utterly extraordinary.

Here's today's Times review of the Chopin disc:

Comment

What i found so striking about the Rachmaninov was not only the orchestra's reaction and that of Alsop but with how much depth and soul he played the piece . Its a gloriously romantic rendition if not quite as exciting as Argerich - I played her finale straight afterwards- it reminded me of Ashkenazy in his youthful account with Fistoulari.

Comment

I very much enjoyed (online) his Wigmore Hall recital last year in which he played Byrd's Dowland setting, and the 15 Bach Sinfonias...Also now on Youtube

Comment

And apparently at his instigation. It was only meant to be up briefly but he was so happy with it he told the Wigmore Hall they could keep it on YT.

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
            I very much enjoyed (online) his Wigmore Hall recital last year in which he played Byrd's Dowland setting, and the 15 Bach Sinfonias...Also now on Youtube
            Preceded by requests for donations!

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I heard and enjoyed the Wigmore recital, and have now lined up the Cliburn Rachmaninov for a watch & listen - many thanks for flagging it.

Clearly the Chopin Études will need a listen too. A very ‘retro’ look to the new recording’s cover - that DECCA logo transports me straight back to the 60s/70s! Is it just me or is it ages since it’s been used?

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

The Chopin is May's Gramophone Recording of the month (yes, we had a Saturday post delivery!).

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                  I heard and enjoyed the Wigmore recital, and have now lined up the Cliburn Rachmaninov for a watch & listen - many thanks for flagging it.

Clearly the Chopin Études will need a listen too. A very ‘retro’ look to the new recording’s cover - that DECCA logo transports me straight back to the 60s/70s! Is it just me or is it ages since it’s been used?

my immediate reaction too.

Comment

Just listening to the Etudes now .Staggering technique.. very sparing pedalling and wonderfully bringing out left hand melodic detail in the G Flat black key study and indeed in the F major - heard details there I’ve not heard before.
                    Some pianist…

Comment

Enthusiastic readers of and contributors to this thread need to keep an eye out for Prom 14 on 29 July….
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                        Enthusiastic readers of and contributors to this thread need to keep an eye out for Prom 14 on 29 July….
                        Fingers crossed for down the line:

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post

Fingers crossed for down the line:

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/interna...rs-hand-strain
                          Hmm..I hope he’s not gone down the Horowitz route of over- practising.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            Gramophone going big today on the Van Cliburn winner young Yunchan Lim who was only 18 then and is just 20 now . David Fanning gives very high marks to his Chopin Etudes coming out on Decca and Jeremy Nicholas raves about his Rachmaninov 3 with which he won the final .

It is on You Tube and so often with big hype I was slightly sceptical .

I was wrong - it is sensational and for an 18 year old utterly extraordinary.
                            Try this: Yunchan at 16, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnw7YyqEdV0

Comment

No wonder he has a hand strain if he is practising 14 hours a day !

Comment

Working...
                              X