Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

A different way of listening for a different world - one to which Radio 3 is finding it difficult to adapt?
    Not sure what you mean. I'd say that Radio 3 is finding it very easy to adapt to the 'new way of listening' and altering its schedules accordingly. It is also finding it much easier than any other BBC radio station to adapt to the idea that 'people' enjoy a much wider range of music and therefore the station should reflect that wide range: hence the employment of AURORA, Baby Queen, Laufey, Elizabeth Alker &c with their particular musical interests
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Not sure what you mean. I'd say that Radio 3 is finding it very easy to adapt to the 'new way of listening' and altering its schedules accordingly. It is also finding it much easier than any other BBC radio station to adapt to the idea that 'people' enjoy a much wider range of music and therefore the station should reflect that wide range: hence the employment of AURORA, Baby Queen, Laufey, Elizabeth Alker &c with their particular musical interests
      I would have thought that the difficulty it faces is working out how to attract new listeners without alienating at least some of its existing listeners - or will it be enough to end up with more or less the same number of listeners, many of whom may have different expectations from still loyal 'old-timers' who are trying to reach some kind of personal accommodation with the 'new look'?

Comment

The difficulty it faces is working out how to attract new listeners without alienating at least some of its existing listeners,
        Well, as the old BBC Trust acknowledged, it's a BBC problem rather than solely a Radio 3 problem. Radio 3 itself does seem to have difficulty in thinking There Is No Alternative to introducing easy listening, popular celebrities as presenters, broadcasting an ever wider range of music.

All these strategies reduce the station's serious, in depth arts content. The greater difficulty is for those who try desperately to hang on to what we have.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I can't make much "thematic sense" of the music choices or their sequencing, which all seems pretty much pinning the tail on the donkey, blindfolded.
          At least one of the fillers tends to be a trail for the next concert, which I don't mind too much. But I'm almost always listening catchup so I know what the pieces are going to be.

Comment

Originally posted by crb11 View Post

At least one of the fillers tends to be a trail for the next concert, which I don't mind too much. But I'm almost always listening catchup so I know what the pieces are going to be.
            To borrow a phrase from who(m)ever it was (somebody called Webb?): 'This is the future and it works'. Most of the TV that I watch is either a recording on my TV set or on iPlayer, All4, ITVX or other streaming services.

Comment

To borrow a phrase from who(m)ever it was (somebody called Webb?): 'This is the future and it works'. Most of the TV that I watch is either a recording on my TV set or on iPlayer, All4, ITVX or other streaming services.
              Lincoln Steffens, after his visit to Soviet Russia in 1919 - "I have seen the future, and it works"

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Lincoln Steffens, after his visit to Soviet Russia in 1919 - "I have seen the future, and it works"
                Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X