Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Composer of the Week is an opera house

I'm not sure whether Radio 3 has run out of composers, but there are many composers who have never been featured on Composer of the Week, who might be considered as an alternative this week's bizarre idea: Drottningholm. There is no reason why the BBC should not run a series featuring this, and other opera houses/theatres, but what possessed them to choose this building to replace a composer.

It would have been more interesting if it kept completely to the lesser known composers such as Naumann & Kraus, rather than including Mozart's Magic Flute. I agree that there are still countless numbers of composers yet to feature as COTW or who haven't featured for many years, yet this continually falls on death ears at R3.

Comment

Agreed. A "Venue of the Week" could prove to be a stimulating new series for R3, but I rather think that "Composer of the Week" should concentrate on flesh and blood rather than bricks and mortar.

Comment

Well, I enjoyed the fascinating and excellent series of programmes on Drottningholm, and can easily forgive Donald Macleod for ignoring the title of his programmes in his commitment and enthusiasm for this project.

In any case, could he not simply have had Radio 3 change the series title for this week alone to 'Venue of the Week'? That would have dealt with objections. But I fear the BBC is too bureaucratic an organisation for such suggestions to be easily 'actioned', as they would no doubt call it.

Comment

Perhaps they could try another opera house next - Bayreuth, for example. Wonder whose music would feature for that.
          Last edited by Guest; 28-11-10, 00:09.

Comment

Working...
          X