Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edinburgh International Festival

Concerts from the Queen's Hall in Edinburgh for the 2015 Edinburgh International Festival

They are not ‘concerts’ but performances from various concerts. I can’t see why they can’t broadcast full concerts. Still it is good to hear some chamber music (for a change)

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    Concerts from the Queen's Hall in Edinburgh for the 2015 Edinburgh International Festival

They are not ‘concerts’ but performances from various concerts. I can’t see why they can’t broadcast full concerts. Still it is good to hear some chamber music (for a change)
    Eh? There are live broadcasts of morning concerts with filler musical items during the interval. Here's tomorrow's for instance:

Last edited by Bryn; 11-08-15, 21:05.

Comment

Oh, sorry. I was mixing up two programmes: Lunchtime Concerts and EIF. (Blame that chorus on the Prom )

Comment

(Blame that chorus on the Prom )
        I have just now given up on that. The 'queen' of British jazz was more than I could take. I'm pretty pitch tolerant, indeed rather fond of microtonal music, but there are limits.

That said, I had not grasped that this is a singer in her mid-seventies.
        Last edited by Bryn; 11-08-15, 21:25. Reason: Update.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          The 'queen' of British jazz

[....]

That said, I had not grasped that this is a singer in her mid-seventies.
          You wouldn't catch Cleo Laine (87) singing outer tune.

And I'm glad I spent yesterday evening at Cafe Oto.

(Sorry, dovers)

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            You wouldn't catch Cleo Laine (87) singing outer tune.

And I'm glad I spent yesterday evening at Cafe Oto.

(Sorry, dovers)
            What have I done or said????

Comment

What have I done or said????
              Nothing at all - it was I who apologise for temporarily hijacking your thread!

Comment

Off to Edinburgh next week. The only music I'm attracted to is Ivan Fischer and his Budapesters in Mozart's Requiem - but it's sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Nothing at all - it was I who apologise for temporarily hijacking your thread!
                  Well, as I started off on the wrong track, I don’t think anybody noticed anything about highjack .

This looks interesting. (Are you there EdgeleyRob? )
                  The Nash Ensemble perform Vaughan Williams's only Piano Quintet

Comment

Well, as I started off on the wrong track, I don’t think anybody noticed anything about highjack .

This looks interesting. (Are you there EdgeleyRob? )
                    The Nash Ensemble perform Vaughan Williams's only Piano Quintet
                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b064xfj4
                    Thanks ds,I hadn't spotted that.
                    The Nash Ensemble have recorded the work for Hyperion and there is a Naxos recording too.
                    Hints of the mature RVW in the slow movement,the main theme of the finale was used some 50 years later in the Violin Sonata.
                    There is also a Quintet for Clarinet, Horn and Piano Trio which I suppose is technically another Piano Quintet.

Comment

What super concert it was,recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                        Off to Edinburgh next week. The only music I'm attracted to is Ivan Fischer and his Budapesters in Mozart's Requiem - but it's sold out.
                        It's worth checking for returns.

Comment

I went to the (concert) performance of The Rake's Progress on Wednesday; the Scottish Chamber Orchestra conducted by Sir Mark Elder (isn 't he tiny? Even on the podium he was scarcely taller than most of the singers). I saw SO's productiuon recently & loved it, & enjoyed this performance very much too - it's a lovely opera.

(A review in the Guardian - of a different opera at the festival - said that the new EIF director has a theatrical background, & was taken aback at the cost of staging opera, hence the paucity of fully staged performances this year. Hopefully he will have got over his shock in time for next year)

Comment

Heavens! You mean there's something going on in Edinburgh that is NOT wall-to-all comics, Clive Anderson and that Arthur Smith guy, and the BBC every damn where?

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              Heavens! You mean there's something going on in Edinburgh that is NOT wall-to-all comics, Clive Anderson and that Arthur Smith guy, and the BBC every damn where?
                              Yes! And some of it within a proper concert hall...

Comment

Working...
                              X