X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David-G
    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
    I've never found it 'exciting', just violent. I never liked it much, and now in my old age (70s) I positively loathe it, and avoid it at all costs. I wonder if it could be partly a gender thing? Do men find it more exciting than women do?
    My sentiments are exactly the same as yours. So it can't be altogether a gender thing.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

I'm not sure I buy into the period instrument theory or maybe I do - it's difficult to think of 20th century works and period instruments in the same breath. However I think the standard international sound which was developed in the 60s has a lot to answer for in works like the Rite. The Orchestre de Paris never had the Gallic sound of the PCO which Decca captured to perfection. What it does need is a raw edge which smooth orchestras do not always give. The VPO to me seems to be too smooth for it, Mehta's 60s recording had all the right ingredients where his prom performance with the VPO did not. Munch's BostonSO had that Gallic edge. Russian orchestras also had the sound but I guess Stravinsky in his heyday was not Russia's favourite son. Are these hipp versions using narrow bore horns to give the Gallic sound and are they recorded using simple mic techniques. For me there are many good recordings but the 50s Minneapolis Dorati is still top of my list. As for the age thing and the Rite- I probably listen to Petrouchka and Firebird more these days.

Comment

• Zucchini
        • Nov 2010

For refreshment Barenboim/Argerich. Revelatory.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          I think it is Mr Wigglesworth's interpretation was the reason I started this thread...
          Not sure if the recent LPO concert with Markus Stenz has gotten any discussion elsewhere, but it is a very fine concert, with a solid Rite to conclude it:

I wouldn't necessarily call it the most revelatory Rite ever, but it is a good, solid rendition, and maybe a tonic after your recent live hearing.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I'm coming late to this thread. The Rite, which thrilled me so much when I first heard it, has never diminished in its appeal. It is something of a rite [ho ho] of passage for conductors....I'd love to have a bash at it, but sadly am unlikely to be let loose on such large and expensive forces. It does seem to be able to survive whatever conductors throw at it, whether it be Hugo Rignold at the CBSO c. 1960 (he got lost) or Gergiev sweating and twitching incomprehensibly at the LSO

I love it for its far reaching influence on music since, and for the sheer magnificence of the work itself borne of Stravinsky's seminal act of creation.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
              I go along with previous references to period-instrument performances/recordings. Most recently, I've just listened to the new recording from Teodor Currentzis and MusicAeterna. Stunning!
              I believe Mrs. PG has sent a copy to Santa...

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                I go along with previous references to period-instrument performances/recordings. Most recently, I've just listened to the new recording from Teodor Currentzis and MusicAeterna. Stunning!
                No coupling though which tends to suggest either record company or conductor are taking the proverbial .

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

As exciting as Lenny was I have now come across a real thriller that has been around for a long time . The Abbado/LSO recording It was coupled with his recording of Pulcinella and one of the best Rites I have heard - I love just how beautiful they make Part I sound and the real sense of contrast with Part II - the recording is also blessed by superb woodwind and brass playing .
                  Last edited by Barbirollians; 10-03-16, 00:45.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    As editing as Lenny was I are now come across a real thriller that has been und for a long time coupled with his recording of Pulcinella is one of the best Rites I have heard the LSO/Abbado recording - I love just how beautiful they make Part I sound and the real sense of contrast with Part II - the recording is also blessed by superb woodwind and brass playing .
                    Predictive text? Coincidentally, the last Rite I played was LSO/Abbado and, yes, it's a good 'un.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Gosh was that mechanical Ryan Wiggleswortj Rite so long ago ?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I have recently after the Bridcut documentary was repeated acquired the LPO/Haitink version . Lots of interesting things but the end really pulls its punches to my ears as if Haitink thought it was just too violent. I enjoyed the coupled Petrushka more - 1911 score lots of magic about it but again rather over refined in places especially the opening . A very well behaved crowd at this fair.

Comment

Working...
                        X