X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton
    • Jun 2024

Maxim Vengerov

'Phew - just finished. Fabulous recital from the Barbican by Vengerov and Roustem Saitkoulov - catch it on iPlayer if you missed it! Schubert and Beethoven in part 1, Ravel, Ysaÿe, Ernst and Paganini in part 2, with 3 encores - 2xKreisler and Massenet (Thaïs Meditation). There were murmurs of disbelief in the hall during the eye-watering Ernst Variations on the Last Rose of Summer (which Vengerov told Martin Handley he'd been playing since he was 10), and the lovely Paganini I Palpiti Variations made a fine finish to the formal programme. I fist heard Vengerov 20 years ago, and went to his Barbican recitals in 2002 or so - I've got several of tonight's pieces inc. the encores on recordings he made in the early 90s. His playing just gets better and better. MV told MH that "tonight was quite a heavy evening"

• Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    'Phew - just finished. Fabulous recital from the Barbican by Vengerov and Roustem Saitkoulov - catch it on iPlayer if you missed it! Schubert and Beethoven in part 1, Ravel, Ysaÿe, Ernst and Paganini in part 2, with 3 encores - 2xKreisler and Massenet (Thaïs Meditation). There were murmurs of disbelief in the hall during the eye-watering Ernst Variations on the Last Rose of Summer (which Vengerov told Martin Handley he'd been playing since he was 10), and the lovely Paganini I Palpiti Variations made a fine finish to the formal programme. I fist heard Vengerov 20 years ago, and went to his Barbican recitals in 2002 or so - I've got several of tonight's pieces inc. the encores on recordings he made in the early 90s. His playing just gets better and better. MV told MH that "tonight was quite a heavy evening"

I consider Vengerov the finest violinist of his generation. A few years ago I attended a Manchester concert of his playing all 3 brahms Sonatas and the FAE Scherzo. Thank goodness he wasn't dancing the Tango!
    Last edited by Stanfordian; 25-02-16, 10:36.

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      I consider Vengerov the finest violinist of his generation. A few years ago I attended a Manchester concert of his playing all 3 brahms Sonatas and the FAE Scherzo. Thank goodness he wasn't dancing the Tango!
      A worthy successor to a generation of fine Russian violinists from the Oistrachs onwards.

I listened last evening and had the forethought to record the live transmission.
      Fantastic.

Get it on Iplayer (and I pray that those three beautifully played encores are included).

HS

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Right! Will be catching up on this today! One of my favourite violinists!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
        X