• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

The Ulster Orchestra - 29/2/2016

So, it's leap year - and the Ulster Orchestra is going to leap into oblivion if they continue to schedule the sort of programme that I listened to last night.

The first part (Beethoven) was tolerable, but lacked excitement.

What followed, after an over-long interval was the most excrutiating noise that I have ever heard described as music.

This was the Ulster Hall, for Pete's sake! The Belfast audiences love their music, but this claptrap?

Don't take my word for it; listen for yourselves.

HS
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
    Don't take my word for it; listen for yourselves.
    Er...how?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Here?

Looks as if they got their money's worth in encores in part 1?

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post

What followed, after an over-long interval was the most excrutiating noise that I have ever heard described as music.
        That's a sure fire way of getting me to listen to it..... music that brings out strong emotions is always worth a wee dip into.

Comment

• rauschwerk
          • Nov 2010

10 minutes in and I'm enjoying it very much. Surely nothing here to offend anyone who loves (say) Tippett's music? Excellent playing too.

Comment

• rauschwerk
            • Nov 2010

Enjoyed the whole piece. Regret I can't understand why anyone would label it 'claptrap' or 'excruciating'. Wish an orchestra would come and play stuff like that in Ipswich!!

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
              Enjoyed the whole piece. Regret I can't understand why anyone would label it 'claptrap' or 'excruciating'.
              I think he meant the Beethoven

Comment

• rauschwerk
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                I think he meant the Beethoven

Comment

• gradus
                  • Nov 2010

Thrilling Ulster performance of the Eroica broadcast yesterday. I hope that they are getting over their financial problems and it's high time we heard from them at the Proms.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                    Late Member
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                    Thrilling Ulster performance of the Eroica broadcast yesterday. I hope that they are getting over their financial problems and it's high time we heard from them at the Proms.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                      Was their 'interpretation' as thrilling as their technical prowess? if so, I wonder whether it was decided by a democratic process, or maybe a committee?
                      Not many orchestras play without a conductor these days... the Britten Sinfonia is one, and very accomplished they are too.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                        Late Member
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                        Was their 'interpretation' as thrilling as their technical prowess? if so, I wonder whether it was decided by a democratic process, or maybe a committee?
                        Not many orchestras play without a conductor these days... the Britten Sinfonia is one, and very accomplished they are too.
                        Well, they got by without a conductor until I got rid of Maurice Miles and persuaded Sergiu Comissiona to take over.

It's often a case of "follow my leader". Many a conductor has basked in the tumultuous applause generated by a previous conductor's interpretation.

HS

BTW Good morning Tony. Nice to see you around.

Comment

• gradus
                          • Nov 2010

Their conductor in the Eroica was Rafael Payare, ex french horn with the Simon Bolivar Orchestra and appointed in 2014 according to Mr G. It seems that his wife is the cellist Alisa Weilerstein and presumably she will be appearing with the orchestra at some point.
                          The performance impressed me in the same way that Thomas Dausgaard did with the BBC NOW/Phil(?) a few years ago when I first heard him conduct Brahms 4. The Eroica really powered along, full of rhythmic life with the lower strings in particular sounding great with tremendous attack.

Comment

Working...
                          X