X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    You may think that Prof Lenz is a fictitious character named after a Comedian Harmonists song, but it so happens that I was interviewed by her in 2005, the results of which may be accessed here.
    Thank you for this (although I had read it previously); however, are you able to point to other information about or links to Prof. Lenz and her work?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Symphony Hall, BirminghamNicholas Collon’s reading of Deryck Cooke’s 10th symphony version was a reminder that it deserves canonical status
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Loved the concert - the Webern has been a favourite since I first came to these pastures and heard S'Rattle and the Berliners at the Proms in 2010. I didn't find the Brahms pedestrian and the Mahler was IMVVHO very, very well done ....

Comment

• Tevot
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
          Loved the concert - the Webern has been a favourite since I first came to these pastures and heard S'Rattle and the Berliners at the Proms in 2010. I didn't find the Brahms pedestrian and the Mahler was IMVVHO very, very well done ....
          Hey Anton. I'll certainly give the Brahms another go (he's one of my favourites) And isn't that the beauty of the I-player facility? One has plenty of time to repent at leisure

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
            Hey Anton. I'll certainly give the Brahms another go (he's one of my favourites) And isn't that the beauty of the I-player facility? One has plenty of time to repent at leisure

Best Wishes,

Tevot
            It is indeed a thing of wonder how did we ever live without it in the Dark Ages.

Comment

• Daniel
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              It is indeed a thing of wonder how did we ever live without it in the Dark Ages.
              Ha ha true. And we seem to have given similar status to so many other things as well (email, texts, computers, FOR3 forum etc). Is the power of this illusion one of capitalism's trump cards I wonder?

On topic, I heard most of the Mahler and it was indeed terrific.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

I am not surprised by the reviews on here Collon gave an exceptional Beethoven 7 last autumn with the Halle.

Comment

• Andrew353w
                  • Mar 2013

I don't normally use i-player to listen to concerts but I did on this occasion. I haven't really understood Mahler but thought this concert very haunting. Still have much to learn about classical music and this composer in particular!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    I caught most of the Mahler 10 performance which sounded wonderful to me, utterly involving - a young conductor on the way up, and rightly so from his pacing and shaping of this piece, with some excellent blended, sensitive playing from the CBSO. I shall certainly listen again, to the Mahler, and to catch the first half of the concert.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b074zny2
                    I will certainly catch up with this concert but when I do not know. Sounds very tempting.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      I will certainly catch up with this concert but when I do not know. Sounds very tempting.
                      As a BBM, don't be too critical of the one 'ouch' near the start of the final movement of the '10th'.

Comment

Working...
                      X