Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PYO; UK tour July August

The Palestine Youth Orchestra completed its first tour of the UK with an impressive concert at the Royal Festival Hall on Monday. Its members are alumnae of, or students at Edward Said's National Conservatory, together with exiled Palestinians from around the world.
    Two members, a violinist and trumpeter, both residents of Gaza, were prevented from travelling by the Israeli Occupation Forces. They are both fifteen.
    The conductor was Sian Edwards who had worked with the youngsters in Occupied Palestine. She directed spirited performances of Beethoven's
    Leonora 3,Graham Fitkin's Metal (the composer was in attendance) and the Ravel version of Pictures at an Exhibition. There were also performances of some Arabic songs with a young soloist, Nai Barghouti.
    The orchestra showed no signs of nerves despite the size of the concert hall and of a huge, enthusiastic audience which gave them a standing ovation.

It must be the first time that a youth orchestra from a country under military occupation has visited the UK, though some members had performed with Nigel Kennedy at the Proms a couple of years ago. It was remarkable that these young people had managed to develop their skills to such a high level in such difficult circumstances.

Thanks for drawing this to our attention, Oliver. Sian Edwards is a great lady as well as fine conductor, for whom I have tremendous respect having seen her performances for the Vaughan Williams documentary of a few years ago.

Comment

Agreed. She has an international career and so volunteering to work in Occupied Palestine, with its intimidating checkpoints and violent settlers is praiseworthy. I wonder whether she has problems passing through Israeli Immigration? Palestine isn't allowed its own borders of course. I have to lie to be allowed in and make sure that I'm not carrying addresses or even names of Palestinians in my luggage. Nor can I say that I plan to go into Palestine for fear of detention at the airport and expulsion. Returning home, I again have to lie, denying the fact that I've been in Palestine.
      If Sian Edwards undergoes these tribulations, she has my respect.

Comment

Working...
      X