No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edinburgh International Festival at Lunchtime

11.00am – 1.00pm from Monday 8th August

A feast of chamber music presented by one of the best Radio 3 presenters.

Concerts like these, who wants the Proms...

Good call, dovers*

A Jazz/Cabaret concert today:

... yesterday there was a recital of works by Haydn, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, and Liszt by George Li (who, aged 20 is surely too old by now to have so many "child prodigy" descriptions added to his name):

On Tuesday, the Amaryllis Quartet played Haydn ("The Bird"), Lutoslawski, and Beethoven Op 127:

... and the first recital on Monday broadcast Mark Padmore and Kristian Bezuidenhout performing Beethoven (including An die Ferneyhoughgeliebte) and Schubert's Schwanengesang:

(* - I've been meaning to ask; is there a significance to the addition of the "1" to your nom de web?)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

..and next Monday
      Dunedin Consort and Danielle de Niese

Wednesday
      Tenebrae and Nigel Short

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

(* - I've been meaning to ask; is there a significance to the addition of the "1" to your nom de web?)
      My new computer didn’t recognise my user name or/and password on the Forum login page . Adding the ‘1’ was kindly suggested by the Administrator so that I wouldn’t have to reinvent myself.
      Last edited by doversoul1; 11-08-16, 10:49.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
        My new computer didn’t recognise my user name or/and password on the Forum login page . Adding the ‘1’ was kindly suggested by the Administrator so that I wouldn’t have to reinvent myself.
        Isn't this new technology wonderful!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
          11.00am – 1.00pm from Monday 8th August

A feast of chamber music presented by one of the best Radio 3 presenters.

Concerts like these, who wants the Proms...
          Super stuff ds,beats dipping in to the Proms

Comment

Have so far caught 2 of the EIF mid-day relays via iPlayer, the Amaryllis Quartet's concert (very, very good) and Simon Keenlyside's crossover recital (nice, if not necessarily mind-blowing). In the latter, it was interesting to hear DM mention that SK has had some health issues of late that kept him off the stage, but that SK has been working his way back into performing, including a stint as Fagin in a production of Oliver!. SK did indulge in a lot of audience chat as "live action program notes" in his concert, and there seemed to be microphone issues at the very start, but things smoothed out as the morning went on.

(PS: The cheap shot at The Proms is unwarranted. Both series are very good, and for all the faults at times of some audience behavior at The Proms and some OTT R3 presenters, there's much more electricity in the RAH as a whole that comes over iPlayer, IMHO. It's kind of an apples and oranges comparison. I'm happy with both.)

Comment

Totally agree about the worth of the EIF Chamber series over the Proms.
              Hardly listened to a single Prom this year.

Comment

Working...
              X