Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COTW: E.J. (Jack) Moeran

Quite a Moeranfest in the coming week. Monday's programme: 'Moeran's Ghost' will include Moeran's own voice, 'Ludlow Town' and 'Twilight', both from the recent Chandos CD release of the songs. Tuesday, "At Ease with the Locals" features the seldom heard Piano Trio. Wednesday, "Old Raspberry Goes Off the Rails" gives us the Nocturne, plus the rarely performed version of 'Lonely Waters' as Moeran originally conceived it, for sopranto/mezzo and orchestra. Thursday, "Jack Reclaims His Irish Heritage" provides the chance to hear what many consider his masterpiece, the Violin Concerto (Surely a MUST for future Prom planning!). Friday's programme title "A Mysterious Death" could be stretching a point (not so mysterious) but the Cello Concerto with its beautiful slow movement(SO Irish) concludes the survey.
    All helped along by the dulcet tones of Duncan Macleod. Enjoy!

I'll listen, as Jack Moeran is one of my favourite composers (especially the Symphony, Sinfonietta, the Rhapsodies and concertos), but I am a little bit disappointed that nearly all music is taken from commercial recordings and accordingly have found a place in my collection already. Not much I haven't heard yet. But I am looking forward to hear his voice in that 1947 interview.

Comment

Jack's music desperately needs more live performances! It's ironic that nearly all of his output is available on CD (only the folk songs to come now, and they're out next year) but still falls victim to over-cautious concert planners. I think that the Carducci Quartet and the pianist Duncan Honeybourne are doing a lot to promote the music. The 1994 Centenary COTW coupled with Warlock did give us specially recorded items like 'Farrago' and the 'Overture to A Festival (realised by Rodney Newton). These must still be in the vault - wonder why they weren't used.

Comment

Looking forward to it. I don't know much of Moeran's music but the pieces I have heard (just the Naxos recording of the Symphony and Sinfonietta) have left me wanting to find out more.

Comment

If I may: Just a moment to reflect. Jack Moeran died on December 1st 1950 - 60 years ago today.
          O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

Working...
          X