Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neil Black

Very sad news. The legendary oboist Neil Black passed away today, aged 84.
    One of the greatest musicians I have ever been privileged to work with.

R.I.P.

That is sad news indeed. A most familiar name from many recordings, particularly with ECO and ASMITF. I only met him once, about four years ago, but he seemed the most gentle and gracious of men.

Comment

Very sad Tony, sorry to hear that. I shall give this an in memoriam spin this afternoon to listen to you guys weaving the magic together with Murray P

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Very sad Tony, sorry to hear that. I shall give this an in memoriam spin this afternoon to listen to you guys weaving the magic together with Murray P
        Good call, Cali.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

You can tell he was a nice person from his playing. Always beautiful and expressive. When Neil Black and Celia Nicklin were together they were matchless in ECO and ASMITF. RIP Neil.

Comment

Very sad news.

RIP

Vaughan Williams concerto,ECO,Barenboim

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Good call, Cali.

I'd forgotten what a wonderful work the Mozart Quintet for winds and piano is. One of my favourites by young Wolfgang. And what a magnificent performance. (Recorded in the middle of the night, if I recall correctly Tony?)

RIP Neil Black

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I'd forgotten what a wonderful work the Mozart Quintet for winds and piano is. One of my favourites by young Wolfgang. And what a magnificent performance. (Recorded in the middle of the night, if I recall correctly Tony?)

RIP Neil Black

The recording was planned around a concert at Snape Maltings at the 1983 Aldeburgh Festival. The original plan was that the live performance would be recorded by CBS, followed by a short rest and then a 'patching' session to tidy up any accidents that had maybe happened in the concert.

As it turned out, Murray Perahia, well known to be intensely self-critical ( as well as critical of others!) wanted to 'go back to the top' and record pretty well everything again 'from scratch'. This worked OK for the first 2 movements and then sheer fatigue had set in by the time 1.30am arrived! I seem to remember we just did a few corrections to the live performance take of the 3rd movement and finished by about 2 am! So, what is heard on the CD ( in the Mozart) is, I believe, a recording of the 1st 2 movements primarily without audience and about 95% of the 3rd movement taken from the live performance. If you listen closely, the 3rd movement has a slightly 'deader' acoustic on account of the audience.

The Beethoven Quintet recording (1984) was based once again on an Aldeburgh performance, but the ECO players vetoed ( courteously!) the idea of a 'patching' session extending into the small hours! The patching session then took place the next day, so wasn't anything like as tiring as the Mozart had been.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  Vaughan Williams concerto,ECO,Barenboim
                  Another good call, Edgey.

I'd forgotten what a wonderful work the Mozart Quintet for winds and piano is.
                  - and unmistakably so in a performance as heart-warmingly Musical as this.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                    You can tell he was a nice person from his playing. RIP Neil.
                    Very very true.

Comment

I haven't that particular recording, but I will have a look at ECO and ASMF ones I have. Surely he was one top oboe player! RIP
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                      X