Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    He 'won' BAL this week (Schuman Liederkreis). Bostridge at his best? See posts under Record Review.

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...966#post617966
    Another typo, I fear, ardcarp: Schumann (Robert) not Schuman (William). Now Schuman's Liederkreis just might have got me interested enough to listen.

Comment

Thought it a bit tame as a BAL. Blasphemous thought: maybe the work does not justify a whole BAL?

Comment

Another typo, I fear, ardcarp: Schumann (Robert) not Schuman (William). Now Schuman's Liederkreis just might have got me interested enough to listen.

Comment

Have a hunch that I've written about this before but I've just set aside for yet another viewing, an off-air video, now on DVD; Masterworks: Six Pieces of Britain, recorded on BBC 2,
          31 July '99; a performance of Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings, recorded in Blythburgh Church, Suffolk,with Ian Bostridge, free of mannerisms, Horn soloist, Timothy Brown, and Sir Colin Davis/strings of the BBC SO. The documentary with splendid coverage of the Suffolk coastline, presented by Michael Berkeley, includes a full performance of the work. Refreshing viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
            Have a hunch that I've written about this before but I've just set aside for yet another viewing, an off-air video, now on DVD; Masterworks: Six Pieces of Britain, recorded on BBC 2,
            31 July '99; a performance of Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings, recorded in Blythburgh Church, Suffolk,with Ian Bostridge, free of mannerisms, Horn soloist, Timothy Brown, and Sir Colin Davis/strings of the BBC SO. The documentary with splendid coverage of the Suffolk coastline, presented by Michael Berkeley, includes a full performance of the work. Refreshing viewing.
            Stanley: I'd be very interested in your views if you can manage to Listen Again to this week's performance!
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

LMP

still intrigued by your OP, ( and thanks for flagging this up and inspriring some listening), I've had listen on better kit now.

If somebody told me that Bosto was a bit under the weather, I'd believe them. There seemed to be a bit of a struggle in the third stanza of Nocturne, in particular, and certainly a couple of moments, such as the final " excellently" in Hymn, which is a tricky moment in any case. There was also an undeniable very harsh edge in some of the first lines of the stanzas in Dirge. I got the feeling that this was deliberate effect, but I could be wrong.

Also, certainly there was the the occasional odd pronunciation thing, but you have to wonder after 20+ years (?) of performing this work, perhaps there is a temptation to try new, different, or even more intense performance elements , that might not always work? Just a question, anyway.

I still wouldn't have been disappointed ( I think) if I'd been there, but I guess it may have been some way off his best.

( Better than this afternoons Saints game at any rate, by the sound of it. ........)
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                Stanley: I'd be very interested in your views if you can manage to Listen Again to this week's performance!
                Thanks, LMP. I'm not a musician but instinctively found the Britten Serenade rather fragmentary which is why I opted for the 1999 performance on DVD, particularly the rehearsal sequences with Colin Davis, as a more tempting alternative this weekend. I'm also keen to stay within the Aldeburgh precincts by listening to the remastered CD's; Rostropivich, Britten & Pears, Live at the 1961 Aldeburgh Festival, (Testament) as mettle more attractive.

Comment

There was also an undeniable very harsh edge in some of the first lines of the stanzas in Dirge. I got the feeling that this was deliberate effect, but I could be wrong.
                  I'm sure it was deliberate...or should I say, calculated?

Also, certainly there was the the occasional odd pronunciation thing
                  I think one could pick out quite a few 'odd pronunciation things' from Pears...some being of the Dudley Moore variety...but that's the way it became embedded in the memory. Mine anyway..

Comment

Working...
                  X