• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Bliss - The Beatitudes

Did anyone hear this? I was rather struck by it. Had I not known who the composer was, I think I would have struggled to guess. (Definitely English...a sort of Walton-lite?) Bliss was a skillful orchestrator; and I guess the reason the work is seldom performed is that the resources required are beyond what a local choral society could reasonably muster. It is very sad that this, Bliss's commission for the re-consecraton of Coventry Cathedral, was cruelly pushed aside...indeed into a dingy theatre...to make way for Britten's War Requiem.

Andrew Davis conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus in music by Elgar and Bliss.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Did anyone hear this? I was rather struck by it. Had I not known who the composer was, I think I would have struggled to guess. (Definitely English...a sort of Walton-lite?) Bliss was a skillful orchestrator; and I guess the reason the work is seldom performed is that the resources required are beyond what a local choral society could reasonably muster. It is very sad that this, Bliss's commission for the re-consecraton of Coventry Cathedral, was cruelly pushed aside...indeed into a dingy theatre...to make way for Britten's War Requiem.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08p51xg
    I would think the influence would be the other way around, rather. It does seem odd that the Britten was selected over this work, especially given that Bliss was Master of the Queen's Music. I hope he got paid for it!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

I heard part of it, and didn't know what I was listening to - for some reason, I'd got it into my mind that it was possibly something by a contemporary compatriot of Martinu, and was astonished to see what the work was when I checked the i-Player. Something I feel I want to hear all the way through.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this in Radio Times! An ideal partnership between Sir Andrew Davis, the soloists, orchestra and chorus. I hav e this work on the Lyrita label.
        I do hope that this team of artists will record this on Chandos someday.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• PJPJ
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this in Radio Times! An ideal partnership between Sir Andrew Davis, the soloists, orchestra and chorus. I hav e this work on the Lyrita label.
          I do hope that this team of artists will record this on Chandos someday.
          I agree - I hope Sir AD and Chandos have this one in the can soon and that it's released on SACD. Meanwhile, the premiere was released by Dutton, and a later performance by Lyrita in their Itter series. It seems a very fine work to me.....

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
            I agree - I hope Sir AD and Chandos have this one in the can soon and that it's released on SACD. Meanwhile, the premiere was released by Dutton, and a later performance by Lyrita in their Itter series. It seems a very fine work to me.....
            Recording at this very moment in Watford.

Comment

• PJPJ
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post

Comment

• Historian
                • Aug 2012

Very much enjoyed this last night and now 'listening again'. The BBC recording of 'Morning Heroes' is also very good so I will be looking out for this when it is released. I think that the BBCSC must have the most wide-ranging repertoire of any symphony chorus in this country.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Oh yes! I didn't think that Chandos would be ignoring this one. Quite a companion to Morning heroes, which, if nobody has a copy, then I strongly advise that you do!
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      I caught this on iPlayer again just before the 30 day limit (as is BSP's wont). Sir Andrew Davis, Emily Birsan and Ben Johnson, the BBC SO and SC all certainly did the work proud and gave it their all. On performance grounds, they certainly did The Beatitudes proud. However, after hearing it, I can understand other reasons why it's seldom performed, besides the obvious logistical forces required. While the work is well crafted and laid out for the forces involved, I cannot honestly remember a thing from it. It's music that is forthright, forceful .... and, unfortunately, thematically not that memorable. Contrast that with BB's War Requiem, where I can hear themes from it in my head even now, as I type this, even without having heard a recording recently or live for some years now. Still, it's good to hear that a new recording from these folks is in the works.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                        • Nov 2010

Indeed, this new recording is set for release on Chandos next month:

This appears to be the first studio recording of the work.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                          Indeed, this new recording is set for release on Chandos next month:

This appears to be the first studio recording of the work.
                          many thanks for highlighting this BSP! I can't wait!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                          X