Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I had music playing only when I could fully concentrate on it then, sadly, I would not get to hear very much music. Ideally I sit in front of my audio system, eyes open but with no distractions. A score can help my concentration but generally I consult it when not actually listening. I do play music a lot in the car but after negotiating hazards I realise that I have completely blanked out the music.

Comment

To give structure to my listening I often have one or more series on the go. I am currently working through the Beethoven Piano Sonatas played by Brendel and the 15completed symphonies by the Swedish composer Allan Pettersson. Using Naxos Music Library helps me to complete the gaps in my CD collection to achieve this.

I find that listening in this way helps to put more familiar works into perspective and ensures that I give attention to less familiar works that I would otherwise neglect.

I do occasionally listen whilst reading a score but they are so expensive so I only have them for some of my favourite pieces.

Comment

Lion-of-Vienna, I've tried that too, but sometimes it becomes a bit like trying to climb all the Wainwrights or the Munros. I find it better to concentrate on single works by a composer, moving on to a similar kind of work by someone else.

Comment

I dislike music as a background. However, having said that, if I am working on the computer I will often have R3 playing, but I don't concentrate on it. I usually, as background music, have Sean Rafferty whittering away whilst I am in the kitchen (I'm sorry, but I like Sean Rafferty as it's an ideal magazine programme for that time of day!)

Otherwise, when I listen I do like to totally concentrate so cannot read and listen easily. Also, I generally use cordless headphones out of consideration to the neighbours.

Comment

I can tolerate background music, just as long as I have the ability to switch if off. So piped music in shops, etc., is a complete no-no. Mind you, I've managed to switch if off in more than one shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              sometimes it becomes a bit like trying to climb all the Wainwrights .
              I've done that as well but I haven't got very far with the Munros!

Comment

“Music is meaningless noise unless it touches a receiving mind.”

Paul Hindemith

Comment

It depends. At the moment I'm posting (obviously, I suppose - sorry!) while listening to a CD. Sometimes I read or tinker with my still unpublished novel or even dust my ever growing collection of teddy bears. Some composers, though, demand absolute concentration and I rarely do anything other than immerse myself entirely in the music when listening to, say, Wagner or Mahler. Programmes like Breakfast or In Tune I usually have on purely as background.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion-of-Vienna View Post
                    I've done that as well but I haven't got very far with the Munros!
                    Even Munro himself never managed to do them all. I'm trying to persuade friends and family to do the Wainwrights with me.

Comment

Working...
                    X