X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hackneyvi
    • Jun 2024

Vaughan Williams, Finzi and Delius on Jazz Line Up - Sunday 12.06.11

For those of you interested, the Avalon Trio - piano, saxophone and percussion - have recorded music by Vaughan Willaims, Finzi and Delius. I liked it very much. It went out yesterday evening at 23.40 and is available on the iPlayer for 7 days. The segment begins at about 19 minutes and finishes around 43 minutes.

Whether or not, the music is to your taste, I can't imagine. However, in between the 3 pieces played on Jazz Line Up, the presenter talks to the musicians. The original music is clearly very dear to them and their music-making is very loving. Whatever you may make of their musical efforts, for myself I always find it cheering to hear favourite composers spoken of with warmth, especially by perhaps unexpected people.

The last piece, the Delius, does fade up at a somewhat raucous moment that may be off-putting but please bear with it because it resolves into something much more gentle.

Whatever you make of the jazz interpretations, the Avalon Trio's warm music and clear, heartfelt love of it endeared it to me and I shall look for the original, classical pieces.
    Last edited by Guest; 13-06-11, 18:46.
  • Auferstehen2

Originally posted by hackneyvi View Post
    For those of you interested, the Avalon Trio - piano, saxophone and percussion - have recorded music by Vaughan Willaims .
    Huh? Vaughan Williams and Jazz?

Can someone explain to this newcomer please?

Confused,
    Tunbridge Wells,
    Malta

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Comment

• JoeG

I really enjoyed it too - mind you I also used to love Emerson Lake & Palmer's version of 'Pictures at an Exhibition'! An easy way into jazz I thought and very thoughtful interpretations. Give it a try Mario after all RVW did use a saxophone in one of his symphonies! :-)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JoeG View Post
          I really enjoyed it too - mind you I also used to love Emerson Lake & Palmer's version of 'Pictures at an Exhibition'! An easy way into jazz I thought and very thoughtful interpretations. Give it a try Mario after all RVW did use a saxophone in one of his symphonies! :-)
          I have the ELP pictures album which I love.What about this version of Brahms by Yes.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

However jazz and RVW doesn't work for me at least.

Comment

• JoeG

It sounds a bit like it has been made on a computer with a midi sound card - though of course it was well before all that :-)

Comment

Working...
            X