Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexander Malofeev

I came across this extraordinary young piano prodigy on YouTube recently, playing Rachmaninov 3 at the age of 17. The technique is dazzling, the attack unflagging and the accuracy astounding – and yes, the interpretation shows considerable maturity as well. Even Rachmaninov found his own Third Concerto challenging and Horowitz was capable of unleashing fistfuls of wrong notes at times. But this boy seems to belong to a new super-breed of 21st century pianists. What I find amazing is that while he has played in venues all over Europe he has never been to the United Kingdom. Why, I wonder? He would go down very well at the Proms.

His website: http://www.alexander-malofeev.com/index-gb

Rachmaninov 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCHg9tup9NA&t=488s

And here he is playing Liszt's La Campanella at the tender age of 13 with all the confident virtuosity one might associate more with somebody such as Marta Argerich: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGAfXQ0yYS0

Possibly a keyboard lion(cub).

Comment

Maybe he doesn’t have a UK agent/representative, doesn’t look like it on his website. Impressive without a doubt, let’s trust he doesn’t get flogged on the circuit.
      Ben Grosvenor seems to strike just the right balance in this respect, there are too many instances of new artists at the mercy of the contract.

Comment

It's just been anounced that Alexander has signed a contract with Opus 3 Artists of Berlin (who also represent Daniil Trifonov). It is astonishing – and, frankly, annoying – that he has not been invited to perform in the UK. Concert promoters here need to wake up!

Marcus Felsner: I am delighted to announce that Russian pianist Alexander Malofeev has signed a management agreement with the Berlin office of Opus 3 Artists, for representation in key territories of Europe, including Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the Nordic countries, as well as North America. Malofeev, who had made first worldwide headlines when at age 13 he won the Tchaikovsky Competition for Young Musicians, is widely considered one of the greatest talents among younger pianists.
        Conductors such as Valery Gergiev and Vladimir Spivakov are among the most active mentors of Alexander Malofeev. At his young age, he has already appeared at Het Concertgebouw Amsterdam, Teatro alla Scala, Philharmonie de Paris, Bunka Kaikan in Tokyo, NCPAA in Beijing, Théâtre des Champs-Elysées and at the prestigious Rheingau Musik Festival. Conductors who have invited Alexander Malofeev to perform with them include Myung Whun Chung 정명훈 (official), Riccardo Chailly, Gabor Takacs-nagy, Kazuki Yamada(山田和樹), and Alondra de la Parra.

17-year old Alexander Malofeev is currently a junior student at the renowned Gnessin Institute in Moscow, where he studies with Elena Berezkina. In addition to his 1st prize at the International Tchaikovsky competition for Young Musicians, he has won numerous awards and prizes at international competitions; Alexander Malofeev is a fellow of the Mstislav Rostropovich Foundation.

Comment

I did notice that he was represented by Opus 3, it was a little vague about how much European ‘reach’ they were planning for him. I’m sure he’ll turn up at some point and he does seem to ooze confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Nachtigall View Post
            It's just been anounced that Alexander has signed a contract with Opus 3 Artists of Berlin (who also represent Daniil Trifonov). It is astonishing – and, frankly, annoying – that he has not been invited to perform in the UK. Concert promoters here need to wake up!
            Tours in Italy, France, Spain …
            He has that intensity which impresses but doesn't distract. A performance like this could turn me on to Rachmaninov, a composer who has never much interested me before

Should one email David Pickard and suggest … ?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Tours in Italy, France, Spain …
              He has that intensity which impresses but doesn't distract. A performance like this could turn me on to Rachmaninov, a composer who has never much interested me before

Should one email David Pickard and suggest … ?
              One should. Who is David Pickard? Ah, just realised!

Comment

One should. Who is David Pickard? Ah, just realised!
                Already sent (from Friends of Radio 3 - that should clinch it ), suggesting it might be a first for the UK!
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Already sent (from Friends of Radio 3 - that should clinch it ), suggesting it might be a first for the UK!
                  Fingers crossed.

Comment

Rachmaninov's Moments Musicaux, Op.16 at the age of 12. One shakes one's head in disbelief. How do the hands of a 12-year old manage the massive chords of No. 3 and the lightning scales and figuration of No. 4 with this degree of accomplishment?

S. Rachmaninoff Musical moment Op.16 №3, №4. Performed by Alexander Malofeev (11 y.o.). Festival "Stardoms of White nights", Saint Petersburg, music-ha...

Comment

Maybe he objects to Brexit

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        Maybe he objects to Brexit
                        Wouldn't blame him if he did. Most musicians see it as a looming cultural disaster.

Comment

My Russian friend writes:

I assume, [Alexander Malofeev] is a Russian citizen, with family living in Russia. So this or that way he has to deal with the government - taxes, travel papers, concert hall rentals, etc., so can be manipulated.

Our country has been on very bad terms with the UK lately and the things are getting worse with each new scandal hitting the headlines.

I reckon, the reason he's never performed, and probably will be performing in the foreseeable future, in the UK is political only - it has to do with the bilateral relations, rather than Brexit, as Russia is legally not part of the EU.

Don't you just love politicians!

Comment

My Russian friend writes:

I assume, [Alexander Malofeev] is a Russian citizen, with family living in Russia. So this or that way he has to deal with the government - taxes, travel papers, concert hall rentals, etc., so can be manipulated.

Our country has been on very bad terms with the UK lately and the things are getting worse with each new scandal hitting the headlines.

I reckon, the reason he's never performed, and probably will be performing in the foreseeable future, in the UK is political only - it has to do with the bilateral relations, rather than Brexit, as Russia is legally not part of the EU.

Don't you just love politicians!
                            I think that's a red herring, it doesn't stop such as Trifonov or Matsuev performing here and both are deeply embedded in Putin's system.

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
                              I think that's a red herring, it doesn't stop such as Trifonov or Matsuev performing here and both are deeply embedded in Putin's system.
                              True; I hope you're right and that his parents and promoters don't hold a grudge against this country.

Comment

Working...
                              X