X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zola
    • May 2011

XVI Tchaikovsky Competition

The entire contest is being streamed live on Medici TV, gala concert tonight and then the competition proper begins tomorrow. Hopefully it will all be available to free account holders as the Leeds was last year. The web site is a bit of a mess but again, hopefully it will become easier to navigate once events get going.

Tchaikovsky Competition : learn about the competition’s history, enjoy exclusive backstage access, be the first to know the results, and much more.
  • zola
    • May 2011

Hotting up nicely in the piano competition as the second round starts. Russian and English wunderkinds already eliminated. Early audience favourite Mao Fujita from Japan; class horse in the field Alexandre Kanterow from France; a posse of well drilled Russians; both female contestants still there.

Medici coverage has a radio 3 flavour with current and ex-presenters. James Jolly at the piano contest, Kate Molleson covering violin and Chi Chi Nwanoku at the cello competition.

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by zola View Post
      Hotting up nicely in the piano competition as the second round starts. . .
      Sorry to see that Anton Yashkin, Russia, didn't make it to the next round.
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• zola
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
        Sorry to see that Anton Yashkin, Russia, didn't make it to the next round.
        I would need to listen to Yashkin again without watching, since I was put off by what seemed to be an attempt to be a Trifonov clone ( the hair, the sweat, the grimaces, the walk )

Strange to be so far into a piano competition without hearing a note of Schubert, Debussy or Ravel ( or Schumann, though we are promised Carnaval by the final contestant this evening )

Comment

• zola
          • May 2011

After some inexplicable judging and the odd controversy, they came up with the correct decision in the end ( to my ears at least ) and awarded first prize to French pianist Alexandre Kantarow.

Comment

• Mal
            • Dec 2016

The fiddle competition looks like a fiddle:

No way am I watching, or taking seriously, a competition where judges choose their own pupils! What next? Leading conductors reviewing themselves? Imagine if Karajan had been the Penguin guide editor...

Comment

• zola
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Mal View Post
              The fiddle competition looks like a fiddle:

No way am I watching, or taking seriously, a competition where judges choose their own pupils! What next? Leading conductors reviewing themselves? Imagine if Karajan had been the Penguin guide editor...
              Competitions always have controversies. Lebrecht always has an agenda. The good thing is that all the performances are available for people to make up their own mind. The value of competitions in fields where it is always going to be a value judgement is another conversation altogether. The value to me was simply to hear some good young performers.

Comment

Working...
              X