X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Kiril Gerstein Does Beethiven B Sides

In honor of Ludwig 250th we are having recitals in Chicago that will feature all of his Sonatas and other major Solo Piano works. The honors are being divided up amongst Kiril Gerstein, Rudolf Buchbinder, Evgeny Kissin, Maurizio Pollini among others. Gerstein led off Sunday with a program that a friend of mine labeled "the B Sides"--not a "greatest Hits" name work amongst them.
    Sonjata #1 Op.2/1--clearly the first and least of LvB's Sonatas.
    Op. 31/1--this was may favorite work on the program-and pairing it in the first half of the program with op 2/1 was instructive because the first movements of both works have a lot in common.
    After the Interval
    Op.49, followed by 78
    The purported Finale was Beethoven's "Grand Sonata" Op.7. I have loved this work since I took Jonathan Biss Coursera Course on LvB Sonatas and he devoted almost two full sessions to it.

People started to leave when this was over, when K.G> came back to announce what he described as a "short encore". It turned out to be the Eroica Variations, which left many of the mobility challenged seniors that were standing on their walkers and canes struggling when they thought that they were going to remain standing in the aisles for an anticipated "brief" encore. I've no objection to hearing the Eroica Variations, and this might have been the highlight of the night, but would it have been to much to ask to simply list in in the program? I also greatly enjoy all of LvB Sonatas, even op 2/1, but hearing a steady diet of B sides without a greatest hit in a recital can drag a bit. Still, a pretty fun afternoon
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Opera 7 and 31/1 are among my top favourite Beethoven keyboard sonatas.

Comment

Working...
    X