• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Messiaen: Vingt Regards 7.30 today R3

R3 7:30 pm today

Live at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, Steven Osborne performs his critically acclaimed interpretation of one of the most groundbreaking piano works of the 20th century. The monumental Vingt Regards sur l'enfant Jésus is a moving and personal expression of Messiaen's Catholic faith: twenty contemplations on the infant Jesus, based around three distinctive themes, powerfully woven through the music. With its superhuman demands on concentration and stamina, this is a rare chance to hear complete this intense, two-hour masterpiece.

Presented by Martin Handley

Messiaen:
    Vingt Regards sur l'enfant Jésus
    Steven Osborne (piano)
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post

Live at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, Steven Osborne performs his critically acclaimed interpretation of one of the most groundbreaking piano works of the 20th century. The monumental Vingt Regards sur l'enfant Jésus is a moving and personal expression of Messiaen's Catholic faith: twenty contemplations on the infant Jesus, based around three distinctive themes, powerfully woven through the music. With its superhuman demands on concentration and stamina, this is a rare chance to hear complete this intense, two-hour masterpiece.

Messiaen:
    Steven Osborne (piano)
    A clear 'must hear'. I would simply add that Ian Pace will also be perfroming the work at the City University Perfromance Space on Friday 13th December. Book early as I would expect it to be a full capacity audience. Please also note the 6:00 start time.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post

Messiaen:
      Steven Osborne (piano)
      How do they know?
      He might have changed his mind, and be playing one of them a bit differently.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        How do they know?
        He might have changed his mind, and be playing one of them a bit differently.
        I do hope so. It would be a bit of a let-down if it turns out to be a clone the one or other of the recordings I already have of Osborne playing them.
        Last edited by Bryn; 06-11-19, 17:38. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I do hope so. It would be a bit of a let-down if it turns out to be a clone the one or other of the recordings I already have of Osborne playing them.
          What a pedantic lot we're becoming - I'd been thinking the very same thing when I read the blurb!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            What a pedantic lot we're becoming - I'd been thinking the very same thing when I read the blurb!
            Perhaps we're all subconsciously preparing for similar close analyses of party manifestos and candidate blurbs in the next 5 weeks!
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

A clear 'must hear'.

Fantastic so far...
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Fantastic so far...
                I have been listening via Freeview thie evening. Rather more engineering gramins in the works than I would have hoped. I just hope they are not also there int the on demand Sounds version, later.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Utterly utterly......a child playing gleefully, experimentally with light on the edge of eternity.
                  Rarely been so completely mesmerised and excited by a piece of music in decades.
                  What a fantastic performance.

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

Desert island stuff indeed. What a work!

Comment

• ostuni
                      • Nov 2010

Just home from the QEH: wonderful, wonderful playing, and a thoroughly well-deserved standing ovation.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Somehow I would like to catch up on this one.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

Some glowing accounts here. I think I shall have to listen to the Hyperion CDs today, it's the closest I'll get. I don't remember this recording setting my world on fire, but maybe I wasn't concentrating. I'm more of a Catalogue d'oiseaux sort of person myself - Vingt Regards often seems to me to pile one ecstatic climax on another until diminishing returns begin to set in.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                            Some glowing accounts here. I think I shall have to listen to the Hyperion CDs today, it's the closest I'll get. I don't remember this recording setting my world on fire, but maybe I wasn't concentrating. I'm more of a Catalogue d'oiseaux sort of person myself - Vingt Regards often seems to me to pile one ecstatic climax on another until diminishing returns begin to set in.
                            Happy birthday, young man. Look out for a PM before too long.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

Happy birthday, young man. Look out for a PM before too long.
                              Thank you! I've just got in and put on the CD. The sense of wonder is there from the very first notes.

Edit: I got as far as the third movement before Bryn's present of the radio recording arrived through cyberspace so I started again. I remember why I might have discounted the CD: there's an important note missing near the beginning of no.2, and too much pedal in no.3 for my liking so that some of the material lacks definition. The first problem is sorted on the new recording but clearly the second is still the way SO likes it. As one might expect the live version isn't as beautifully recorded as the CD and the audience seems a little consumptive between movements (present company excepted no doubt!). I would love to have been there though.

Another edit: no.10 is pretty cataclysmic though!
                              Last edited by Richard Barrett; 07-11-19, 11:36.

Comment

Working...
                              X