X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steerpike
    • Nov 2010

BBC Phil/Bruckner 5/Simone Young

Excellent performance last night. More at the flexible end of the flexible-monumental continuum.

One oddity though, the timpanist didn't play his roll across the last two orchestral chords of the last movement. Is this a textual variation? I've never heard it before. If it was a mistake then the least said the better, we all make them. Still an excellent performance.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Isn’t Young known for performing “Original Versions “ of most Bruckner scores? (I claim no expertise on the minutiae of Brucknerian editions).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

The sustained Timp roll is there in Bruckner's manuscript of the full score, dated 18th May, 1877, as can be seen if you scroll forwards to 1hr 12mins 25secs here:

Anton Bruckner (4 September 1824 – 11 October 1896) was an Austrian composer known for his symphonies, masses, and motets. The first are considered emblemati...

I do not know of any earlier/later changes that might account for their absence in a performance - but it seems a very odd mistake for a Timpanist to have made!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        ... it seems a very odd mistake for a Timpanist to have made!
        But nonetheless, one the player here does make! (It sounds as if s/he's having trouble sustaining a smooth roll in the four bars before, and then it just peeters out - as Steerpike says, we're all human. (Scroll forward to 2h 3m 35s to [not] hear it here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000b5xp )
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Something very similar happens in a live 1948 Furtwängler performance of the Beethoven Leonore No 3 Overture with the Stockholm Philharmonic.

To get the full startling effect start from around 14'21'' here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqh0pOZavAY
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            But nonetheless, one the player here does make! (It sounds as if s/he's having trouble sustaining a smooth roll in the four bars before, and then it just peeters out - as Steerpike says, we're all human. (Scroll forward to 2h 3m 35s to [not] hear it here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000b5xp )
            Gosh, that does rather spoil the ending and a good performance overall.

Comment

Working...
            X