X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

"Fritiofs saga" (Frithiof's Saga) - Opera Matinee, Thursday, 21/11/19; 2:00pm

A broadcast of the World Premiere of an opera written in 1899 by Swedish composer, Elfrida Andrée (1841 - 1929) - of whom I had never heard before today. Must be worth a punt:

Ms Andrée herself seems to be a powerful person, judging by the meagre information supplied by WIKI - some parallels with her contemporary, Ethel Smyth:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

She certainly lived to a good age, for that era. Thanks for the alert, ferney, I shall give this a listen.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Not at all a bad piece, and some very good moments: bizarre that it's taken 120 years to get its premiere. (And a pity that the quality of the solo singing - some horrible sounds from some of the solo women, and some very peculiar sounds from one of the men! - wasn't up to that of the orchestral playing and choral singing: a better cast would have won the work many more fans, I think. A pity, too, that the DAB "bubbling mud" got increasingly louder as the broadcast proceeded - the last half-hour was practically inaudible. )
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
      X