Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical music streaming during quarantine one-stop shop

Thought that the R3 Forum could have a single dedicated thread to people's experiences of listening to/watching classical music streams during this current period of general isolation. The Berlin Phil Digital Concert Hall is its own unique institution, given its sheer scale and being well ahead of the pack before now in terms of on-line visual accessibility, so the BPO's thread can remain separate. This thread can be for all other orchestras, groups, individuals who have a much smaller streaming footprint compared to the Berlin Phil. (In principle, I would exclude material already on YT pre-quarantine that was already there, but that might be being overly picky here, if people use such videos as sources of listening enjoyment now.)

Because I have a tremendous backlog of CDs to listen to, generally not of standard repertoire, I've actually listened to very little of the content that has been emerging. That very little has been 2 videos of the Philadelphia Orchestra and YNS, from their "Virtual Philadelphia Orchestra" site:

Please note: Virtual Philadelphia Orchestra performances will be available until Friday, September 4, 2020, at 11 PM ET. We hope you'll join us for the Orchestr

The first was the LvB 5/6 concert mentioned in the one other thread "Audience-free performances" under "A Night at the Opera" (for Bryn, will be interesting to hear your take on it). I next watched the other night the Haydn 100 / Mahler 5 concert with YNS, which was YNS' first concert with the Fabulous Philadelphians after they named him their next music director, back in 2010. Hence the substantial, if not quite every seat taken, crowd. I'm admittedly still of mixed mind about YNS, not being greatly blown away by him as a conductor while appreciating that he seems a genuinely good guy, and the tonic that the orchestra needed. But I was certainly grateful for the chance to experience that performance, at removes of time and distance.

(FWIW, I very modestly donated to the orchestra not long ago through my workplace.)

Will be interesting to read others' streaming experiences, and how far afield they range.

'lso.co.uk/always playing' features concerts previously shown in cinemas, every Sunday and Thursday at 7 p.m. Tomorrow it's Simon Rattle conducting Sibelius's 5th symphony and Janacek's Sinfonietta.
    Last edited by LMcD; 28-03-20, 17:00.

Comment

The other day I watched a stream of a chamber/song recital from the spookily empty Bavarian State Opera House. It finishes poignantly with Strauss's Morgen (tomorrow the sun will shine again). They have some good stuff there including Lucia di Lammermoor and I will certainly watch the Parsifal under Kirill Petrenko available from today (with the marvellous René Pape as my namesake).

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        'lso.co.uk/always playing' features concerts previously shown in cinemas, every Sunday and Thursday at 7 p.m. Tomorrow it's Simon Rattle conducting Sibelius's 5th symphony and Janacek's Sinfonietta.
        Thanks for that, LMcD, just watched and enjoyed.

Comment

I have been exploring my iTunes collection today, which generally doesn’t get played much

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
            Thanks for that, LMcD, just watched and enjoyed.
            The Sibelius 5th is one of those works that always seems to bring out the best in conductor and orchestra. I found the image of the marble in the funnel quite helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              I have been exploring my iTunes collection today, which generally doesn’t get played much
              I find that Spotify is very good indeed.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                I find that Spotify is very good indeed.
                Agree and also comes conveniently into my Roberts bedside radio.

Comment

Qobuz, always Qobuz.

Comment

Lest's not forget https://wigmore-hall.org.uk/wigmore-...ailsource=9342

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                      Qobuz, always Qobuz.
                      I took note of some reports from enthusiastic adherents to Qobuz on here and duly had a look at it when I was considering getting a streaming service last year. It does seem to offer excellent sound quality but I couldn't figure out how to conveniently play it through to my amp and speakers. It would cost more than Spotify and I don't think my septuagenarian ears would do justice to the "hi-res" options. What Hifi have just published a review expressing general praise but also some misgivings and only gave it three stars.

Comment

Despite my reservations about the Apple " Walled Garden", if you have an ipad and/or iphone, Apple Music has a great range of music, and is a slick as you would expect. Really user friendly, and the £10 subscription gives you a download facility.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                          Qobuz, always Qobuz.
                          That’s quite expensive!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                            That’s quite expensive!
                            I don't think £150 per annum for high-resolution streaming is so bad. Until recently it was £199 for CD-quality only.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              I took note of some reports from enthusiastic adherents to Qobuz on here and duly had a look at it when I was considering getting a streaming service last year. It does seem to offer excellent sound quality but I couldn't figure out how to conveniently play it through to my amp and speakers. It would cost more than Spotify and I don't think my septuagenarian ears would do justice to the "hi-res" options. What Hifi have just published a review expressing general praise but also some misgivings and only gave it three stars.
                              Qobuz user though Audirvana+ for years now, Qobuz always great for me on Early/Baroque/Classical/Contemporary - or Pop/Rock etc on the odd occasion I call it up. Often use it for hours a day.

I would just make the obvious point that how you implement CD/Hires Streaming - media player/software, separate DAC/Streamer, good cabling, filtering of USB etc - will probably make a greater difference to your SQ result than that inherent between, say, Tidal and Qobuz....

Contrary to the What HiFi comments, the Qobuz Discover feature works wonderfully well through Audirvana+....as I say it is all about implementation....

Comment

Working...
                              X