• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Cracking Walton 1 from BBC Phil / John Wilson

I’ve listened 3 times to this performance of Walton’s 1st Symphony rebroadcast last Tuesday evening:

BBC Philharmonic with John Wilson in Kabalevsky, Prokofiev and Walton

It seems a piece made for John Wilson’s skills, the precision and pacing of his more usual repertoire delivering dividends in this symphony. I particularly like the urgency of the slow movement’s climax.

Worth an envigorating listen
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Alison
    • Nov 2010

JW proving himself a very versatile chap. Hope he turns to the Elgar symphonies on disc.

Comment

• Edgy 2
      • Jan 2019

and Bax symphonies too
      “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        JW proving himself a very versatile chap.
        I’ve previously found he has limitations, though. In 2017, I downloaded two Afternoon Concert performances of Vaughan Williams 5 - one was John Wilson with (I think) the BBC Phil again, the other was the BBC Scottish with an up and coming Australian conductor called Nick Carter. Comparing them a number of times, I found that the Wilson performance came a pretty distant second, a rather superficial reading to my ears, whereas the Carter/BBCSSO reading remains one of my favourites.

I look forward to hearing Wilson again in that work in future to see if he’s reached closer to the heart of it....

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          I’ve previously found he has limitations, though. In 2017, I downloaded two Afternoon Concert performances of Vaughan Williams 5 - one was John Wilson with (I think) the BBC Phil again, the other was the BBC Scottish with an up and coming Australian conductor called Nick Carter. Comparing them a number of times, I found that the Wilson performance came a pretty distant second, a rather superficial reading to my ears, whereas the Carter/BBCSSO reading remains one of my favourites.

I look forward to hearing Wilson again in that work in future to see if he’s reached closer to the heart of it....
          I'll certainly listen to the Walton 1st, thanks for the link!
          Re. your comments on the 2 performances of the Vaughan Williams 5th, I've rated the BBCSSO very highly for quite a while.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            I'll certainly listen to the Walton 1st, thanks for the link!
            Re. your comments on the 2 performances of the Vaughan Williams 5th, I've rated the BBCSSO very highly for quite a while.
            A very fine orchestra whose management has demonstrated outstanding discrimination in appointing its chief conductors over the years, (in relation to which, for those on FB, https://www.facebook.com/ilan.volkov...303508?__cft__).

[Having now got round to listening to this performance of the Walton, I note something missing from this thread. Nobody has, so far, raised the issue of the approbation offered to the orchestra and conductor at the end of the first movement. What is this forum coming to? ]
            Last edited by Bryn; 01-04-20, 09:51. Reason: Update.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              A very fine orchestra whose management has demonstrated outstanding discrimination in appointing its chief conductors over the years, (in relation to which, for those on FB, https://www.facebook.com/ilan.volkov...303508?__cft__).

[Having now got round to listening to this performance of the Walton, I note something missing from this thread. Nobody has, so far, raised the issue of the approbation offered to the orchestra and conductor at the end of the first movement. What is this forum coming to? ]
              Although I don't approve of applause between movements, I would have been very tempted to join in on this occasion. What an astonishing performance - so many fine things to comment on in addition to the overall standard of the playing. There were some fine individual contributions and the extent and control of the dynamic range were exemplary. The scherzo was almost as malicious as Previn's, which, as anybody who knows that recording will tell you, is high praise indeed. Rarely can an ovation have been so richly deserved. If anybody else reading this has the odd 50 minutes to spare, I can recommend this performance unreservedly. Thanks again to Caliban for the heads up.
              (I sent the BBC Phil a congratulatory email and they replied 1 minute later!)
              Last edited by LMcD; 01-04-20, 10:18.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Sounds a very good programme.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Strange that, though the listing claims this to be a second chance to hear the concert (recorded last September), it is not otherwise flagged up as a repeat. If this was indeed a repeat, how come it was not discussed here at the time of its previous broadcast?

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                    • Jan 2014

The continuity announcer said that it was the opening concert of the BBCPO's season in September 2019. I've yet to listen attentively to the Walton, but a few samples revealed the quality and I will be listening later today.....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      Although I don't approve of applause between movements, I would have been very tempted to join in on this occasion. What an astonishing performance - so many fine things to comment on in addition to the overall standard of the playing. There were some fine individual contributions and the extent and control of the dynamic range were exemplary. The scherzo was almost as malicious as Previn's, which, as anybody who knows that recording will tell you, is high praise indeed. Rarely can an ovation have been so richly deserved. If anybody else reading this has the odd 50 minutes to spare, I can recommend this performance unreservedly. Thanks again to Caliban for the heads up.
                      (I sent the BBC Phil a congratulatory email and they replied 1 minute later!)
                      So pleased it gave you a buzz too, LMcD! What a performance!

(I actually didn’t even notice, still less care about, the applause after the first movement!)

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks Calibs. Just listened. Agree it's a terrific performance. I guess it's right up John Wilson's street.

Comment

• Nimrod
                          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          JW proving himself a very versatile chap. Hope he turns to the Elgar symphonies on disc.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

O.k., I have now naughtily edited out the applause (not entirely successfully, since it starts somewhat before very much decay of the final chord of the first movement) and am listening again, this time under superior circumstances. While I find much to admire, especially regarding balance and well-engineered stereo spread, the degree and subtlety of syncopation found in the LSO/Previn recording is somewhat lacking here. This is something I have found to be an all-too-present quality of Wilson's conducting. Very strange for a conductor coming from the 'lighter' side of music.

[Actually, the syncopation improves greatly as the performance progresses. The 'Johnny-come-lately' final movement is very finely done indeed.]
                            Last edited by Bryn; 01-04-20, 15:37. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Lordgeous
                              • Dec 2012

Truly excellent from the brilliant John Wilson. Always one of my favourite pieces and never heard such clarity as in this performance. Also a favourite performance, in a different way, this Prom performance from Previn. Brassy but exciting:

Following his landmark recording of the Walton first symphony for RCA in 1966, André Previn gave this even more taut and implacable performance with the Lond...

Comment

Working...
                              X