X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Menahem Pressler at Oxford

Just off to the Sheldonian to hear the great Menahem Pressler playing Mozart. I thought he was getting on a bit when I saw him with his Beaux Arts Trio at Harvard. That was 20 years ago and he was 67...

For me he's the finest chamber musician I ever saw.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
    Just off to the Sheldonian to hear the great Menahem Pressler playing Mozart. I thought he was getting on a bit when I saw him with his Beaux Arts Trio at Harvard. That was 20 years ago and he was 67...

For me he's the finest chamber musician I ever saw.
    I hope you and he both enjoy it, verismissimo. I know that with the break-up of the Beaux-Arts he was playing concertos again. I see he's playing K453 tonight.

He's been a hero of chamber music for me too.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• prokkyshosty

And how was it, verismissimo? He certainly is an amazing pianist! (I spent some time at Indiana University where he's top dog in the piano department there).

Comment

• PaulT
        • Nov 2010

Looks like it was a ripper

Absolutely sensational. Legendary German pianist Menahem Pressler prompted such an enthusiastic ovation on Tuesday night that it seemed to shake the…

Comment

• verismissimo
          • Nov 2010

This was a very moving and special occasion with both Menahem Pressler and the Oxford Philomusica on top form.

For me it was distinctly unenhanced by the presence of an Oxford Times photographer - his pictures are in the review - who seemed intent only on clicking his shutter when the music was at its quietest and most profound.

In the worst sense of the word, just so AMATEUR!

Comment

• amateur51

Another time, another place ...

Excerpt from a live webcast from the Verbier Festival available free of charge on medici.tv22 July 2010Now available on VOD at http://www.medici.tv/#!/argeri...

Still Mozart, still Menahem Pressler

Comment

• Pianorak
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
              Oxford Times
              Amateurs indeed! I complained about the "German pianist" which they have now changed to "German-born pianist". Result!
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• verismissimo
                • Nov 2010

Still the same concerto, but without intrusive clicks! Wonderful. Many thanks, amateur!

Comment

Working...
                X